Comments on my plan for computer audio?
Nov 19, 2008 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

samspotting

New Head-Fier
I am a student on a budget, but I am on coop so I have some loose change for a set of speakers and possible peripherals. I want to buy a set of speakers that will last me a long time, as my old ones broke. I want something that is better sounding than regular logitech/creative brand speakers that I had, as after listening to my grado sr60s, I am looking for better sound. It will be used in a dorm sized room.

For around 200$ of a budget for speakers, are there better value speakers than Audioengine A2s, which is my current choice atm. I can't buy swan as I am in Canada (theaudioinsider.com doesnt ship to canada anymore). I am open to bigger sized monitors and possibly an amp.

For the source, I am a dell vostro. Is that enough for this level of sound, or should I upgrade to a dac like the alien, or super pro 707?

Nov 19, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 7
used gear is definitely the way to go at this price point (well actually most price-points). you might be able to pickup some very nice vintage gear on craigslist even - which would be nice as you would save on shipping costs which at a $200 budget might mean a significant percentage. but you might also think about getting a decent dac+headphone-amp unit used for now and listening with your headphones so that when you have some more money you can buy speakers and you would have a nice source already.

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 7
Is there any place I can get information about used gear, whats good, and at what prices?

I move every 4 months because of coop, so it has to fit in a suitcase. Monitors + sub used sounds good, but arent most used equiptments non amped? How big is a typical amp, and cost?

I am looking at speakers as it would be nice turn them on while theres people hanging out in my room.

Nov 19, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 7
I was just looking at some used pro audio gear on bh photo video checking out whats there and they actually did have some powered studio monitors below $200. I think they were Roland brand or something like that. Don't know anything about them but it might be worth looking into.

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #6 of 7
Another plug here for used gear. Check on Audiogon.com for some real steals (and some overpriced super-high-end stuff). Keep in mind that if you aren't using powered speakers of some sort you're going to need an amp to drive them.

You will definitely get more for your money with used gear, and you'll be able to sell it for about what you paid for it when you decide you want to try getting an upgrade (which will probably happen!).

P.S. Audiogon makes you go through a 1-2 pages of stuff from dealers (and auctions) before you can view the classified ads. Skip all that stuff...the classifieds are the section you want to be looking at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back