Comments on Extigy? Measurements?
Apr 16, 2003 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

daniel422

Head-Fier
I've found a store that's seling the Extigy for $80 NIB (well, $130-$50 rebate). I've looked all over (including here) and see mixed reviews regarding this product. I primarily want it for my laptop, and to get a decent digital out. I'm aware it probably converts to 16/48 (because of the 12MHz system clock on the USB bus this makes sense), but don't know how well it does this or if in fact it does it at all. I've seen many claims regarding the digital section, but little evidence or measurements to back up anything said about this product -- digital section or otherwise.
Bottom line: should I spend the $80 and this and check it out? Or is this thing just crap and I shouldn't waste my time?

Apr 16, 2003 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 8
Extigy, is that the USB sound card ? I think my brother has it. He likes it because of remote control and external audio control and it has digital out, which he uses for listening to movies in surround sound when he hooks it up to a reciever or 5.1 speakers. He likes the sound, but then again he isn't really an audiophile.

"I've seen many claims regarding the digital section, but little evidence or measurements to back up anything said about this product "

What claims are you specifically talking bout?

Apr 17, 2003 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 8
I just posted a thread on how I like Sonica theatre way more than extigy. There's no remote control and no optical out but there's still a digital out and I think the sonica is far superior.

Apr 17, 2003 at 12:25 AM Post #4 of 8
Oh, and sonica is about 1/8 the size of an extigy. Extigy is about the size of a good sized textbook, sonica is about time and a half the size of a pack of cigarettes.

Apr 17, 2003 at 6:18 AM Post #6 of 8
Too late! Bought it anyway. For $80 it was hard to pass up. I can always take it back if it's lousy. The size doesnt phase me. This is for a semi-permanent placed laptop which I'd like multiple ins and outs for (which rules out the Sonica). I'm mostly concerned about the digital side -- I've heard it converts 16/44 audio to 16/48 (because of the USB bus).
I'll do a full analysis and post since no one else seems to have.

Apr 18, 2003 at 12:17 AM Post #7 of 8
Hmm. OK, I've just started my eval. Some immediate items: Yes, everything is converted to 48kHz. Also converts everything to 24 bits. This goes for everything. It will accept 24/96, but puts it as 24/48. This sucks. The immediate evidence is rise in THD levels on D-D conversions when going from non-native (anything but 48k or multiples) sampling rates. I'd imagine I'll see this on the D-A path as well. Headphone out is horrible (about 0.6% THD at best with no load!), but it's better than my laptop (I guess). I've pretty much decided to take this bad boy back unless I find some cool redeeming feature. I will post my test results regardless.
Oh, and having an external power supply sucks, too. I want this for a laptop and that means not having a wall outlet sometimes. I guess I should be thankful it's not running off the USB supply (5V with a 500mA max), but I'd expect things to sound better for what the've got. Definitely seems not to be taken advantage of. It must be used to power that big DSP that converts everything to 24/48. (I can't even do bittests because it never matches the input!) Very frustrating.
Can you say Sonica Theater?

Apr 18, 2003 at 12:20 AM Post #8 of 8
Good 'ol creative - audiophiles at heart.

</sarcasm>

-dd3mon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back