Comments Needed on Vinyl Setup
Mar 27, 2010 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

pulsar08

New Head-Fier
Pioneer PL-12d or another from this list http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/low...source-228059/
Denon DL-103
Hiraga MC Amp/Cambridge Audio 640p
Denon AVR-3805

Using Alessandro MS-1i's

A concern I have is the tone arm and cartridge match. The cartridge is 5 cu compliance which should match a tone arm mass of 25grams or more. The pl12d manual does not mention the tonearm mass but says the "recommended cartridge weight is 6.4~12 grams." The DL-103 is 8.5g. I have heard that most stock tone arms like on the pl-12d and others from this time period are high mass which should work ok with this cartridge. Will this combination work well?

Hiraga MC Preamp
I've read this preamp is a good match to the dl-103. Does anyone know where I can get a pcb for this. Maybe it's not worth the trouble and I should just get a Cambridge Audio 640p.

Finally I was going to use a ht receiver but if there are better choices in this price range I'd love to hear them. I put down the 3805 since it's the only one I've ever used and it's about 230 on ebay. I'd prefer something with spdif in/out to connect to my computer, phono input, and equal or better sq for less money. I don't need 5.1, I'd be happy with stereo only. I'm guessing that most receivers with spdif in/out are 5.1/7.1 though.

Thanks

Mar 27, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 4
Edited:
That should make for a very nice vinyl setup once you get it going.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pulsar08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A concern I have is the tone arm and cartridge match. The cartridge is 5 cu compliance which should match a tone arm mass of 25grams or more. The pl12d manual does not mention the tonearm mass but says the "recommended cartridge weight is 6.4~12 grams." The DL-103 is 8.5g. I have heard that most stock tone arms like on the pl-12d and others from this time period are high mass which should work ok with this cartridge. Will this combination work well?

I did not look up info on the arm on that tt, but if it is "high mass" then it is perfect for the DL-103.

The compliance numbers for the 103 are a little weird. Where everyone else in the world quotes compliance at 10hz, denon quotes it at 100hz. If you are interested, the dynamic compliance of the 103 at 10hz is more like 12-15.
Quote:

Hiraga MC Preamp
I've read this preamp is a good match to the dl-103. Does anyone know where I can get a pcb for this. Maybe it's not worth the trouble and I should just get a Cambridge Audio 640p.

eeeh. there are a couple things going on here.
The thing you linked to is what is refereed to as an "MC Head amp." It was used in days of yore to step an MC signal up to MM levels so that the MC cartridge could run in an MM phono stage such as is found on a receiver. It is not a terribly complicated design: It could probably be built on perfboard.

The cambridge 640p is a phono stage. You need both a stepup (or a MC head amp) and a phono stage, or a phono stage that can accept an MC input. The 640p has an MC input and is both priced affordably and gets good reviews. There are also some mods for it out there on the interwebs if your into that stuff.

Mar 28, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 4
I was eventually able to find this post which has a rough guess of the tonearm mass: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/ski...ntable-381131/ Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a fairly high effective mass arm around 15g

So along with the 8.5g of the cart thats a total of 23.5g which is in the high-moderate mass range. You said the dl-103 is probably more like 12-15cu which falls in the low-moderate range so this does seem like it would be very close to the ideal. Did I get that right?

Mar 28, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by pulsar08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was eventually able to find this post which has a rough guess of the tonearm mass: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/ski...ntable-381131/ So along with the 8.5g of the cart thats a total of 23.5g which is in the high-moderate mass range. You said the dl-103 is probably more like 12-15cu which falls in the low-moderate range so this does seem like it would be very close to the ideal. Did I get that right?

It looks pretty good according to VE's resonance evaluator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back