Coming soon to a Post Office near you...
Aug 12, 2004 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

reynman

500+ Head-Fier
Self-serve kiosks

I went to the main PO in Chicago to send out stuff I sold. I was prepared to wait in line for at least 25-30 minutes, it was about 5:15. Lo and behold there was no line!!!! I was intercepted by the most courteous and friendly postal worker who said, "Have you tried our new self-service machine?" (as he herded me toward the machine) The machine comes complete with a scale, touch screen, credit card reader (ATM or CC). It looks like the same people who have redesigned the BankOne ATMs. He advised me to select CC otherwise I would have to swipe my debit card 4 times. The postal worker walked me through each step to process my 4 packages - priority mail with delivery confirmation. He was very patient and had full of information. In less than 5 minutes I had my detailed receipt with delivery confirmation for my 4 transaction.

Bravo USPS! Now, just get my packages delivered without any hassles or mangled boxes!
wink.gif

Regards - reynman

Aug 12, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 6
I wonder if they are going to set those up (or already have) in Naperville. That was the worst PO I have ever been in. Always 10+ people waiting, no matter the time of day. If the entire Chicago area got the kiosks, it was a good place to try them out.

My current middle-of-nowhere PO is unlikely ever to see one, though, which is fine with me.

Diana

Aug 12, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by reynman
Self-serve kiosks

I went to the main PO in Chicago to send out stuff I sold. I was prepared to wait in line for at least 25-30 minutes, it was about 5:15. Lo and behold there was no line!!!! I was intercepted by the most courteous and friendly postal worker who said, have you tried our new self-service machine? (as he herded me toward the machine) The machine comes complete with a scale, touch screen, credit card reader (ATM or CC). He pointed out that to process all my transactions I should select CC otherwise I would have to swipe my debit card 4 times. The postal worker walked me through each step to process my 4 packages - priority mail with delivery confirmation. He was very patient and had full of information. In less than 5 minutes I had my detailed receipt with delivery confirmation for my 4 transaction.

Bravo USPS! Now, just get my packages delivered without any hassles or mangled boxes!
wink.gif

Regards - reynman

I sent out a package this afternoon using one of these automatic kiosks.. and my experience was not very pleasant..
plainface.gif

They never mention that you cannot add insurance to the shipment using the kiosk.. and there I was, standing behind 3 people in the line before the kiosk.. and when I get my turn, I went through the process only to find out I needed to join the serpentine line for getting insurance added onto the package.. When I complained to the staff that they should have put a sign saying packages that need insurance HAD to be mailed manually, the staff said it was mentioned on the kiosk.. when in truth it wasn't.

So, I had to wait in two lines and waste 30 minutes of my lunch time because of the kiosk..
mad.gif

If you need to just mail a letter or a small package that doesn't need anything more than a delivery confirmation, the kiosk is a great time saver. But for complicated transactions, we are still stuck with the usual serpentine queues..

But, USPS has taken a step in the right direction. Bravo !!

Aug 12, 2004 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 6
So it seems the kiosks have the same limitations that the Click'n'Ship website has as far as insurance goes. And I bet you can't send packages internationally with them either. And those two reasons are the only two that would draw me to a post office, other than large boxes since I don't have a scale at home. Last time I checked I could add both insurance and ship internationally (albeit at an exorbitant rate) with Airbone Express/DHL from their web site, and I know UPS allows at least insurance to be added from their web site. But USPS is super-cheap for a lot of things so we all have to march to the post office.

Aug 12, 2004 at 4:38 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by thewaka
I wonder if they are going to set those up (or already have) in Naperville. That was the worst PO I have ever been in. Always 10+ people waiting, no matter the time of day. If the entire Chicago area got the kiosks, it was a good place to try them out.

My current middle-of-nowhere PO is unlikely ever to see one, though, which is fine with me.

Diana

We could only hope, for the most part I try not to use the Naperville post offices myself. Hee, reminds me of the machine at one of the McDonald's in Naperville, they put in a machine where you can punch in your order and deposit bills to pay for the meal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back