Coming Soon: HeadAmp AE-1
Jun 21, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #16 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
sorry bud, but nope, go the other direction
biggrin.gif

Wow, I hope you're right. If it's actually cheaper than SR-71, I really need to get myself in line for a Hornet!

Jun 21, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #17 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
Wow, I hope you're right. If it's actually cheaper than SR-71, I really need to get myself in line for a Hornet!

And might i add that i am personally at the front of the line
biggrin.gif

so back off and take your place behind me
tongue.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #18 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
And might i add that i am personally at the front of the line
biggrin.gif

so back off and take your place behind me
tongue.gif

Ditto here. If the hornet is basically a portable raptor and cheaper than the SR71, then I'm third in line.
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #19 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
Is the battery user-replaceable? well, one can always open the box and pry the thing out, but is it user-friendly-replaceable?

i would suspect that it is user-replaceable...i mean realistically, why would justin make the battery permanent? it would be an extra step to make the battery permanently attached to the unit. also, for around $350, the battery better be user-friendly-replaceable!

Jun 21, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #20 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by erix
An old, forgotten link...

ok,
erix

Are you sure this is what the AE-1 is based on? I figured the AE-1 was a TPA6120 based amp KG mentioned working on a year or so ago.

Jun 21, 2005 at 5:21 AM Post #21 of 113
Some tech. information comes from Kevin about 3 monthes ago, FYI
smily_headphones1.gif

.a bryston like output stage

.Built in lithium ion and digital based charging/safety chips.

.the led eats up more current than the amp does when there is no audio signal

p.s. I am in no way shape or form, financially or otherwise involved with HeadAmp.

Jun 21, 2005 at 7:21 AM Post #22 of 113
The HeadAmp AE-1 is NOT a Gilmore design. Gilmore did design a portable amp for himself and he called it the American Eagle. This amp is inspired by that design and does use some components recommended by Gilmore for a portable. HeadAmp decided to let the name be inspired too, and call it the AE-1. In simplest terms, the amp circuitry is a collaboration between HeadAmp and Gilmore. The amp is not the one erix linked to, which was something Gilmore built years ago.

The sound will be on par with the Gilmore amps but will have better synergy with portable sources and DAPs, which is the goal.

Jun 21, 2005 at 8:03 AM Post #23 of 113
Good to hear that it will be designed with DAP in mind, do you guys know when the AE-1 will be released? I'm currently looking for an Amp and I wouldn't mind waiting a few months. But if it's if in the terms of years, i my as well by one right now and upgrade to the AE-1 later.

Jun 21, 2005 at 11:43 AM Post #24 of 113
The AE-1 battery pack can be replaced. To do so requires sliding the PCB
out of the chassis, inserting the battery and plugging the battery pack
into a connector on the board.

Like any rechargable battery, whether it be individual NiMHs or Ni-Cads, or
laptop batteries, Mp3 player batteries, phone batteries, they all have a
limited life, typically rated at 500 cycles - however, the battery doesnt
just stop working at 500 cycles, typically this is a point where maybe
they'll only hold 70% of their original charge, and the battery life would
lessen.

Assuming the battery works perfectly through 500 cycles, and the amp is
left on 100% of the time, the battery pack would last 62,500 hours or 2604
days or more than 7 years.

HeadAmp will be offering additional battery packs for anyone who wants one for only about $15-20 each. The battery pack will be covered under the 2 year parts & labor warranty included with the amp.

FYI I am in no way affiliated with HeadAmp. I am just a former GilmoreLite+customPSU owner who was very satisfied with the product (and interested in this one).

Jun 21, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #25 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
it's solid state, but you can't tell the difference in sound between the hornet and the raptor 9 times out of 10.

That's true for all of Ray's amps, which really tells you:

a) how good all of his amps are.

b) how little you get by paying more for an amp, in general.

-Matt

Jun 29, 2005 at 1:17 PM Post #26 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
I believe the AE (American Eagle) is a Gilmore design.

In a recent email with Justin from HeadAmp, he said that the AE-1 is not a KG design. Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
it's solid state, but you can't tell the difference in sound between the hornet and the raptor 9 times out of 10.

I'm going to call BS on this.
rolleyes.gif

Also, unless I am mistaken, I do not think that this is a TPA6120 based amp.

EDIT: oops, looks like nierika pretty much covered it.
redface.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 1:50 PM Post #27 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I'm going to call BS on this.
rolleyes.gif

NO MAN!! JUST WAIT TILL YOU HEAR IT!! Trained head-fi ears at the NY meet couldn't hear the difference, and others can attest. Just wait you'll see!
cool.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #28 of 113
I've also heard quite a few people say that the Hornet is a large departure from the standard RSA house sound. Also, meet conditions + Ray's switchbox are not really convicing credentials. I've seen what that little evil box can do to people.
tongue.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #29 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I've also heard quite a few people say that the Hornet is a large departure from the standard RSA house sound. Also, meet conditions + Ray's switchbox are not really convicing credentials. I've seen what that little evil box can do to people.
tongue.gif

yeah but someone was bound to use them with canalphones!!! Also, it has been A/Bed at Ray's house (I forgot the head-fier who did this) in relaxed conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back