Coming over from the 2-channel world
Oct 16, 2013 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

captslow

Head-Fier
Greetings to all!

I have been in the audio hobby for some time, however, my focus has been purely in the world of two-channel audio reproduction. I recently had the pleasure of listening to a high-end headphone system for the first time and was in awe of the level of reproduction that was possible. Obviously headphone listening is quite different from traditional listening and some concessions are made. Despite this, I found that I preferred the headphone setup to my quite expensive HiFi system. 

There is something more personal and involving to headphone listening. While I will miss some of the detail of my system, I am going to be selling off my speakers and amplifiers. I have recently moved and no longer have the space to do my two-channel system justice. 

Fortunately, I am able to afford the very best in headphone reproduction (which is something I cannot say for the two-channel world). This should be an exciting journey and I am looking forward to learning from the seasoned members of this forum. 

Just for information sakes, my first purchases will be the HD800s and a decent tube amp (probably around $2000). I feel this will provide a decent entry into the headphone world before I go too crazy into the high end. 

Oct 16, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 4
Heya,

Keep your Hifi setup. All you need is a Hifiman HE-6 and a speaker tap cable. Drive it with your speaker setup, just like speakers, plugged in just like your speakers in the back of your amp. Don't waste your time with "headphones." Get speakerphones!

Very best,

Oct 19, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #3 of 4
Heya,

Keep your Hifi setup. All you need is a Hifiman HE-6 and a speaker tap cable. Drive it with your speaker setup, just like speakers, plugged in just like your speakers in the back of your amp. Don't waste your time with "headphones." Get speakerphones!

Very best,

+1. I wish I'd taken this route.

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 4
That seems like a decent option, but my main goal is to simply downsize. I will be moving quote a bit over the next 5 years and do not want to have to lug around my hifi setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back