Coming from the ATH-M50 , which IEM would suit me?
Jun 18, 2010 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

skyflux

Head-Fier
I was thinking of something like the Westones , but I would really like to hear opinions. I prefer neutral sounding earphones/headphones , especially those designed for monitoring/studio use. So , just curious , which IEM would sound closest to the M50 , or possess a relatively flat response?

Jun 18, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #2 of 25

Quote:
I was thinking of something like the Westones , but I would really like to hear opinions. I prefer neutral sounding earphones/headphones , especially those designed for monitoring/studio use. So , just curious , which IEM would sound closest to the M50 , or possess a relatively flat response?

I'll let you know in a week when my M50's arrive and get burned in.  They have to be one of the most highly acclaimed headphones I have seen at the $100 mark.  I hope I am not expecting too much. 

Jun 18, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 25
Westone 3 is probably the closest sounding IEM to the M50 out of the ones I''ve tried so far.

Jun 19, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #5 of 25
Yea but FYI the M50s aren't really neutral; if you were to get a neutral IEM you'd see some big differences in their signature. 
However to get back on topic, I'd say the Triples or the W3s would have somewhat a similar sound signature. 

Jun 19, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 25
Do you want full sized headphones or IEMs? 
How much are you willing to spend?
Do you have an amp to use with them?

Sorry if you already posted the answers to these; it's getting late and I'm a little tired :)

Jun 19, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #8 of 25
Hmm I would prefer IEM to closed cans , unless the SQ between them is really really great.
My budget would probably be around 500 SGD , that would be around 360 USD.
And no , I don't want to use an amp.

I was actually trying to find an IEM that sound closest to the ATH-M50 , but damn.. The W3, Triple Fi 10 and UM3X is a hundred SGD away from my budget.

Jun 19, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #11 of 25
If you can afford them, I highly recommend EarSonics SM3. They sound better to my ears than any Westone or UE I tried and are very neutral and balanced, yet still musical.

Jun 19, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #12 of 25

Quote:
Hmm I would prefer IEM to closed cans , unless the SQ between them is really really great.
My budget would probably be around 500 SGD , that would be around 360 USD.
And no , I don't want to use an amp.

I was actually trying to find an IEM that sound closest to the ATH-M50 , but damn.. The W3, Triple Fi 10 and UM3X is a hundred SGD away from my budget.

360usd...... if that is the limit you can get the W3s, Triples, and UM3Xs within that price range. The SM3s are a little bit more but they're worth it if you want that sound signature. 

Jun 19, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #13 of 25

Quote:
360usd...... if that is the limit you can get the W3s, Triples, and UM3Xs within that price range. The SM3s are a little bit more but they're worth it if you want that sound signature

And better sound quality IMO. SM3 is just technically superior to UM3X, W3 and Triple.fi.

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #14 of 25
Thanks for the replies guys , I did a search on the SM3 and realized that they don't sell EarSonics in my country. Oh well.

Btw , how's the Super.fi 5 Pro compared to the ATH-M50? If anyone have these two , I would really appreciate a comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back