Coming from Sennheiser HD 598's, next best upgrade?
Sep 9, 2013 at 2:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

animefreeks

Head-Fier
I know that many people often say the HD 598's are the best unamped headphones in the world or whatnot, but since getting a decent soundcard for my computer (Asus Xonar Essence STX), I'm looking into getting a better Sennheiser headphone for my setup. HD 600, HD 650, and even the HD 700 are in my consideration. HD 800 is out of my price range. I dont really listen to one genre of music; I listen to everything EXCEPT country and polka and the sort. Some dubstep, some Top 10, and some classical are in my playlist. What I want to know is what would be the best *noticeable* upgrade for these headphones? Soundstage is a must, but I also want the depth of the HD 600's. Demoed the HD 600's at this one store called MODIA, but it was hooked up to a Macbook Pro, which meant it was unamped and sounded VERY anemic, but I still noticed the difference in depth between the HD 598s and the HD 600's. I also read that the HD 600's dont have as wide a soundstage as the HD 598's so my main question is, would the HD 700's be a good investment in for my next upgrade?

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #2 of 9
As a consumer, no. As an audiophile, it depends whether you're willing to spend a lot (in addition to the headphone amp your getting). Also, I recommend trying different brands, such as: AKG, Denon, Grado etc. not Beats.

Sep 10, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #4 of 9
I sprung for the HD 700's. Reason why is I get employee discount at Best Buy. I checked on the system and found out that it was supposed to be $669 instead of the full MSRP. On that price, I had to ask. However, during checkout, the sales rep advised me that they use a different system from Best Buy (we have a store called Magnolia), and that the employee price was wrong, and that I could get the HD 700's for $433. Yes. $433. No brainer. 

Sep 21, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #5 of 9
  I sprung for the HD 700's. Reason why is I get employee discount at Best Buy. I checked on the system and found out that it was supposed to be $669 instead of the full MSRP. On that price, I had to ask. However, during checkout, the sales rep advised me that they use a different system from Best Buy (we have a store called Magnolia), and that the employee price was wrong, and that I could get the HD 700's for $433. Yes. $433. No brainer. 

For $433 I wouldn't be hesitate to buy one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back