Coming from hd595 - looking for a closed alternative
Jun 7, 2009 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

koop

Head-Fier
Hey all,

Ive been a proud owner of the hd595 for quite some time, however I recently broke them :O so I am looking for something else. My room has a lot of ambient noise (loud fan + computer) and I live with relatively loud roomates, so I'm looking for something that will isolate.

I did try the dt770pro 80ohm a couple years back as I was considering that or the 595 and eventually opted for the 595. The 770s were nice and isolated well but I thought the bass was a bit overpowering. I saw that Beyer made a consumer addition in 2005 and was reading that might help in that area?

I would like something that is a bit more "fun" sounding than the 595's. They are great headphones but they aren't very interesting IMO. I play a lot of games which are mostly FPS based such as cs 1.6 and quakelive (which is awesome and free fyi) so sound stage is very important. I honestly listen to almost every genre of music.. but mostly indy rock. Also, I am looking to power these off my PC and an amp is kinda out of the question at the moment. I may look at getting one in the future but I need something that can be driven off my PC with relative ease (ie low ohms?).

Anyways I don't want to spend more than $250, and honestly $150 is probably more up my alley but you know how that goes haha. Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Jun 7, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 3
I went from my Sennheiser HD555 quite a while back to my DT770 '80ohm' which I believe is the consumer version. They also make a 250ohm model. I just recently purchased another DT770 because I accidentally broke my last ones while moving a whole bunch of stuff. I do remember when my DT770 arrived about a week later I sold the Senn 555's. I like the closed back design for isolation and also like the bass impact compared the Senns. They are also some of the most comfortable headphones I have owned. I mostly listen to rock and watch movies with them.

Not much but hope that helps

Jun 8, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 3
I think the dt770 80ohm are the pro edition. the consumer one is 250ohm (correct me if im wrong) which is a bit concerning to me if im running without an amp. The consumer edition is also roughly $100 more, the dt770 can be had for relatively cheap right now which is a huge plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back