Coming from HD555, liking HD25,...
Aug 9, 2013 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ErichZann

New Head-Fier
Hej!

Since my HD555 headphones are broken after some years now, i am looking for new headphonesfor home use, will be mainly connected to my X-Fi Music soundcard. I liked the 555, but since I got the Hd25s i actually prefered the sound of them.

I mainly listen to Metal, older stuff like Maiden and Metallica, but also some newer more agressive things. The HD555 maybe is a bit too "neutral" for that, with too little bass? Could live with it though. Now i need something new, but honestly dont wanna spend too much on this, so my first thought was Hd598, but it.could give me the same "boring" sound i guess?

Dt880 was my next thought, but quite more expensive here, and im also not sure if thats what im looming for. Dt990 could be intresting, but im a bit afraid of those excessive heights everyone is writing about, and i dont think i can test listen to them somewhere around here...

Does anyone have the 990 and can compare them to the 25s?

For some reason i would like open ones for home, even.though the 25s are closed and i like them...Also comfort.is a big concern for me (i wear glasses also), so that seems to kick out a lot like grado etc and so far mainly leaves me with the Senn hd5xx or Beyer 7/8/9 series? The beyer 250 sounded great, but by far not.that comfortable. . And why cant companies.like grado not build phones with their sound and the comfort of a HDxxx? I dont get it :/

Thanks for any input!

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #2 of 8
By chance i found a shop where i could test the dt990, and sadly everything bad i had read about them seemed to be true for me :/ just no mids, master of puppets really didnt sound good on them. Tried the HD250 which sounded better, but were not really comfortable. Maybe i will have to settle for the boring 598s if i dont find any alternatives, would be better than headphones with loudness sounds i guess...

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 8
Did you have a budget for the headphone upgrade?

Sennheiser HD558s will sometimes sell used for just over a $100, on eBay & Amazon.
I removed the BRT (black rubber tape) from inside the cups of my HD558s, I guess removing the BRT helps a little with the mids and treble while losing a little bit of the bass.

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #4 of 8
Hej,

I dont have a fixed budget, just not too much, whatever that means :wink:

Actually the 598s are not that much mote expensive here, well within the budget, but im more.concerned if i will like the sound. More than the dt990 i guess, but i would love the sound.of the hd25 in more comfortable :wink:

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #5 of 8
For heavy songs I suggest to look at NuForce HP-800. Good value for money and very dynamic, powerful sound. I own both HD555 and HP-800 they complete each other.

Aug 10, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #6 of 8
Hm that could be a possibility, there are some mixed reviews... Sad that I cannot test listen to it somewhere close by. I could test some other headphones now, the HD 598 was not really my thing (with Metallica), though i kind of liked the Shure SRH940 and (unexpected) the Philips L1...

Aug 10, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Dt880 was my next thought, but quite more expensive here, and I'm also not sure if that's what I'm looming for. Dt990 could be intersiting, but I'm a bit afraid of those excessive heights everyone is writing about, and I don't think i can test listen to them somewhere around here...

The Sound Blaster X-fi Xtrememusic sound card can not drive 250-Ohm headphones (DT880 & DT990)
So you wold need to spend at least $65 for an external headphone amplifier, to use the XtremeMusic with the DT880/DT990
The Philips X1/28 Fidelio headphones are only 30-ohm and have been getting good reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back