coming back into headphones and need recommendations for isolation
Jan 17, 2005 at 11:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DsLFoolisH

100+ Head-Fier
its been a while since i ripped myself away from the headphone world but it looks like im about to get thrust in again. this time is out of necessity though, not enjoyment entirely.

im looking for isolating headphones for one purpose: drowning out my LAPTOP noise. yes, i have a sony vaio k33 and its a marvelous laptop but its soooo NOISY. and i HATE noise. sooo... i need something to drown the noise and let me work in peace. it has to be in the ~$100 or below range. the lower the better, im not concerned about audio quality at this moment, but of course i dont want something too crappy.

i used to use ER4P through a S adapter and they isolated awesomely, but i sold them and i cant justify spending the same $$$ again. i later switched the DT880s which sounded great as well, but are open and also costly. from my prior knowledge id probably look at something like the mdrv6, hd280s, or er6, ex71. remember, cheaper the better, just not dropping into the koss plug range. ill be using the cans out of the laptop headphone port, so yes, itd be quite a waste to buy good cans for this application. i just want to work in peace!

how are the shures? i never heard them but i know several of my friends have them. if they isolate well, they might be an excellent choice. supposedly they fit better than the etys no? i had no issues with the er4p fit, so i dont think thats a concern. thanks guys. this time is headphones for a practical purpose.

Jan 17, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 6
For practiaclity and an inexpensive price can't beat the Sharp MD33S. It doens't hold its own against the Etymotic ER-6 or ER-6i but it holds its own and then some with the Sony MDR-EX71SLs. Search for some threads discusing them.

Jan 18, 2005 at 6:39 AM Post #4 of 6
im seriously considering the A500s now. like on the verge of ordering. just to make sure.... these will probably block out laptop noise right? the laptop isnt OBNOXIOUSLY loud, but still bothersome. will the a500s be sufficient for isolation?

Jan 18, 2005 at 8:20 AM Post #6 of 6
The AT A500's are 85-90% of the A900 at half the price, which makes them very good value. The AT A500/A700/A900 are all quite large in size but are very comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back