Comfy rock cans...for 80 $ max
Mar 4, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #16 of 32
Senn PX100 PMX100, maybe PX200 / PMX200

Mar 6, 2007 at 10:48 AM Post #19 of 32
Thanks for all tips...

Situation has changed.... he thinks that the K81 DJ could be uncomrotable for long listening, because they are supraaural.

What about HD 555s? He likes how they look and I think that they could be good for rock.
Could that be what he's looking for? ...I know, they are more expensive :)
Another his tip for comfortable rock listening are A-T ATH-AD500s...? Anybody knows them???

So now the limit is - 100 $ ... So HD 555s or ATH-AD500s for rock? Or are there another cans in this price range? Only circumaural pls...

Mar 6, 2007 at 11:16 AM Post #20 of 32
If you decide on the 555's, bhphotovideo has them for $105 w/ free shipping. I just pulled the trigger myself
icon10.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 11:35 AM Post #21 of 32
HD555 would be a smart move. I really can't see why he should buy a closed can like the K81 DJ if he doesn't need the isolation, open cans give better SQ at any given price point IMHO.

There are some interesting second hand options at this price point too.

Simon

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't anyone read the OP's requirements???
-He wants comfort (though I guess it's relative), so no K81DJs.
-He wants strong bass and soundstage, so no MS-1.

I strongly recommend Sony MDR-V6! NOT V600!!! They are super comfy, have lots of bass, and a U-shaped freq. response that is great for rock. Also they can take one heck of a beating. They are super efficient so the soundcard with drive them just fine. Finally, you can find them online for under $80.

But the V6's don't have any soundstage either. They are bombproof though, and have a good amount of bass, but its kind of sloppy and uncontrolled. My biggest beef with them was the upper midrange/lower treble, which was painful to listen to.

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #23 of 32
if his limit is 100, then get the ms-1 from alessandro
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the V6's don't have any soundstage either. They are bombproof though, and have a good amount of bass, but its kind of sloppy and uncontrolled. My biggest beef with them was the upper midrange/lower treble, which was painful to listen to.

I absolutely agree, and I'm not recommending the V6's in absolute terms.

It's true that they have a metallic high end, lack some soundstage, and have a mid-range dip. But they are indestructible, have reasonably good bass, and are fairly clear for the price. It is what I would recommend to a friend with $80 to spend on a kick-around closed, circumaural rock/rap 'phone.

I sold mine, though, because in my upgrade path, the DT250s blew them out of the water in every way...not surprising since the DT250 are 2X the price of V6s.

Mar 6, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I absolutely agree, and I'm not recommending the V6's in absolute terms.

It's true that they have a metallic high end, lack some soundstage, and have a mid-range dip. But they are indestructible, have reasonably good bass, and are fairly clear for the price. It is what I would recommend to a friend with $80 to spend on a kick-around closed, circumaural rock/rap 'phone.

I sold mine, though, because in my upgrade path, the DT250s blew them out of the water in every way...not surprising since the DT250 are 2X the price of V6s.

I guess for those needs, and strictly at that price point, they may be one of the better choices. Also, the Audiotechnica ATH-M30 would be a contender-- around $70, closed, similar form factor to V6's but don't fold, don't have the harshness that the V6's exhibit.

Mar 7, 2007 at 10:50 AM Post #27 of 32
MS-1's or MDR-7506/MDR-V6's with beyer DT250 pads

Mar 7, 2007 at 10:59 AM Post #28 of 32
Grado SR-80's FTW!

haha jk, I honestly think his first impression of these would be "Did you pick these up at the dollar store???"

Mar 7, 2007 at 11:15 AM Post #29 of 32
I personally LOVE my Grado SR60 for rock and metal. I think they sound a LOT better for rock/metal that has lots of electric guitar than my Beyer DT770s. For rock/metal I would suggest the Grado SR60 and it's $69 anywhere and everywhere (unless used).

Mar 7, 2007 at 11:33 AM Post #30 of 32
My HD555s have served me fairly well with rock - although I still haven't heard many higher end headphones, so I don't have much of a point of reference.
smily_headphones1.gif

They are VERY comfortable after they're stretched out a bit from use. They're a bit tight for the first couple weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back