Comfy Grados?!
Aug 28, 2002 at 9:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Fadamacka

100+ Head-Fier
How many of you guys actually find the grado phones comfy?
I've noticed that a lot of folks can't wear them for long, but i find myself listening 4-5 hours straight, but discover no discomfort. I have done no modding on the headband btw.

Aug 28, 2002 at 10:01 AM Post #2 of 12
I find my SR-80s to be quite comfy and can wear them for 4-5 hrs without problem.
my SR-325s start to hurt after about 3 hrs of continous usage. i guess this is because the earcups are much heavier than SR-80s.
I have tried only the bowl pads though.

Aug 28, 2002 at 10:38 AM Post #4 of 12
Look. I belive it's very subject to individuals. I don't last more than 45mins with my SR-80s.
eek.gif

Aug 28, 2002 at 11:27 AM Post #5 of 12
My issue with Grado's is that the front of the pad presses against my jawbone, slightly pushing it forward, which is annoying and gets quite uncomfortable very quickly. This is the main reason why I did not enjoy Grado's.

Aug 28, 2002 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 12
My SR80s are comfortable for about 3-4 hours, then they get extremely painful if don't take a break from them for at least an hour. It seems that the plastic enclosure is actually pressing against part of my ear using the bowl pads.

My HP-2s with flat pads are sufficiently comfortable for several hours. They are bit heavy and I can't move around too much without them slipping a bit, but the sound is worth the small hassle.

Grados in general are probably the least comfortable phones I have used yet the ones I use the most.

Nothing beats those velour pads like the Beyer DT-250 has. I wish Grado made fuzzy velour flat pads.
tongue.gif

Aug 28, 2002 at 8:02 PM Post #8 of 12
I frequently wear my SR-80s with bowl pads for hours at a time. Usually I don't listen to more than three or so albums at a time without taking a break, though, so I can't comment on extremely long listening periods.

I don't find the Grados uncomfortable, but they're definitely not as comfortable as other cans. They exert a pressure on your ears that always lets you know they're there. When I first got them, the tops of my ears would be sore after listening for a couple hours. I haven't noticed that recently, though.

I also have a small head -- hat size about 7 or 7-1/8.

I just wish everyone would stop with the "but Grados are unusably uncomfortable" line. It scares away a lot of people for whom I'm sure there would be no problem.

kerelybonto

Aug 28, 2002 at 8:28 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Fadamacka
How many of you guys actually find the grado phones comfy?
I've noticed that a lot of folks can't wear them for long, but i find myself listening 4-5 hours straight, but discover no discomfort. I have done no modding on the headband btw.

I wouldn't call the Grado's comfy or uncomfy. They're just there. They are a little bit annoying sometimes to put on and it takes a while for them to disappear (when I stop noticing they're on my head), but that's about it for my qualms about Grado comfort. They are rather light and they don't cause my ears to burn and ache like some people have indicated. I'm still waiting for the day when Grado makes supraural pleather earpads, though.

Aug 28, 2002 at 9:38 PM Post #10 of 12
I have a pair of modified SR-60 pads on my 325s and I routinely forget I even have them on. I just get lost in the music.

Aug 29, 2002 at 12:44 AM Post #12 of 12
My 325s are very comfortable for me, but it depends on the person. My friend thinks his Senn 580s are not comfortable and can't use them for more then an hour. I can have my Grados on for hours at a time
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back