Comfortable open cans with glasses
Jan 20, 2016 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

endure

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a new pair of headphones after a long time with my AD900s and wanted my next pair to be as comfortable as possible with glasses as it's been a constant pain in the ass over the years getting headaches from 5-6+ sessions which happen quite often.

In terms of sound profile, anything that is pretty balanced with a decent sound stage is something I'd definitely look into buying. My budget is around 150-200$ usd however with the canadian dollar being beyond **** the cheaper pair I can get currently the better. If anyone can guide me in a direction or has past experience with this problem any help would be great

Jan 20, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #2 of 14
Glasses can be a show-stopper. I ended up buying new glasses (frames) with as thin (and not wide) and as close to the head temples as possible. Silhouette Titan series was my solution.

Then, the headphones. For me Gel pads have provided the best seal while avoiding discomfort. These can be had for AKG 6xx/7xx headphones from AKG and for Beyer Tesla series and DT7xx/8xx/9xx series from Beyers.

As for your requirements on cans, I'd look into Sony MDR-MA9000. It's not the most refined, but is open, very light, very easy to wear, doesn't press on your ears, goes well around the ears and has plenty of soundstage.

Other than that, I'd take a look at the AKG 7xx series, Q701, K701, K702, etc.

Jan 20, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #3 of 14
Did you ever try replacement pads with your AD900? Idk if they'd fit but things like the Brainwavz memory foam and hybrid pads are often recommended. For your next headphone might be worth buying something with pad options.

I used to wear DT770s with sunglasses sometimes, they clamp a bit but also have decent cushioning, so the open version DT990 or semi-open dt880 might be an option, often under $200. Then again, I wore HD 25s with sunglasses too...my ears would go numb... I might just be a closet masochist
confused_face.gif

Grados might be a good research option value-wise... I can't comment on sound or stage, been a few years since I had my MS-1, but your budget fits the sr60, 80, 125 and 225 models. As far as glasses-comfort, they also have a couple pad options you can buy- the 'cup' style has a lot of cushion for glasses, as well as some aftermarket pads.

I haven't heard but some commonly recommended openbacks possibly worth checking Fostex t50rp mk3 semi-open and open models, phillips fidelio x2 (iirc the pads might be glued on though... also a little expensive but sometimes price dips, also older x1 might be cheaper), akg 701.

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #4 of 14
I currently have the AD900X and SHP9500, and I replaced the stock pads on AD900X with a pair of velour pads, the comfort gets boosted immensely. Besides, SHP9500's comfort is unbeatable with little-to-none clamp. 
I assume the AD900s has less bass compared to AD900X or SHP9500, even though those two cans don't have much bass themselves. Therefore, my suggestion is if you want something to complement with the bass that the AD900s lack, probably you should look into X2, which you can find used ones around $200 or below. AKG K7xx is another option since it has a nice punchy, accurate bass, and great soundstage while still perform well in other aspects. Not quite sure about its clamp but I believe it's decent at it. If you don't wanna invest too much, SHP9500 will be around for $60 used or 90 ish new, I think.

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #5 of 14
I currently have the AD900X and SHP9500, and I replaced the stock pads on AD900X with a pair of velour pads, the comfort gets boosted immensely. Besides, SHP9500's comfort is unbeatable with little-to-none clamp. 

I assume the AD900s has less bass compared to AD900X or SHP9500, even though those two cans don't have much bass themselves. Therefore, my suggestion is if you want something to complement with the bass that the AD900s lack, probably you should look into X2, which you can find used ones around $200 or below.

AKG K7xx is another option since it has a nice punchy, accurate bass, great soundstage while still perform well in other aspects. I'm not quite sure about its clamp but I believe it's decent at it.

If you don't wanna invest too much, SHP9500 will be around for $60 used or 90ish new, I think.

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #6 of 14

I assume the AD900s has less bass compared to AD900X or SHP9500, even though those two cans don't have much bass themselves. Therefore, my suggestion is if you want something to complement with the bass that the AD900s lack, probably you should look into X2, which you can find used ones around $200 or below.

Actually someone just posted a sale on the x2 in the deals thread for $199 http://www.head-fi.org/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post/20040#post_12268718

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #7 of 14
Yup, the Philips SHP9500 is a great choice. It's one of the few headphones I can wear with my glasses without experiencing any discomfort. What I do with pretty much all headphones, though, is simply move the frames of my glasses out from and over the pads of the headphones. This allows me to continue doing stuff on the computer without having to deal with compromises like painful discomfort and the frames of the glasses breaking the seal in the pads, although one compromise is that the glasses are then at an angle over my eyes.

If you purchase the SHP9500, consider implementing this modification to enhance the sound.

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #8 of 14
I tried the akgs k612 pro the other day with my glasses on and had no issues. I didn't wear them for extremely long period so it's hard to tell tho. They have a pretty balanced sound if you are into that. I'm listening to my DT880 PRO right now with glasses on and it's all good. DT990 should work too but they are not as balanced.

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #9 of 14
  I tried the akgs k612 pro the other day with my glasses on and had no issues. I didn't wear them for extremely long period so it's hard to tell tho. They have a pretty balanced sound if you are into that. I'm listening to my DT880 PRO right now with glasses on and it's all good. DT990 should work too but they are not as balanced.

Although I have never heard a DT 880 PRO, I owned a DT 880 Edition (aka Premium) 600 Ω and that was another one of the headphones that my glasses did not interfere with. Both versions seem to have the same pads. (Correct me if I'm mistaken.)

Jan 20, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #10 of 14
just ordered the x2, thanks for heads up on the sale since it saved me a lot of money
has anyone tried different earpads with them? was considering some memoryfoam ones since it might improve usage with glasses more

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #11 of 14
Glasses can be a show-stopper. I ended up buying new glasses (frames) with as thin (and not wide) and as close to the head temples as possible. Silhouette Titan series was my solution.

Then, the headphones. For me Gel pads have provided the best seal while avoiding discomfort. These can be had for AKG 6xx/7xx headphones from AKG and for Beyer Tesla series and DT7xx/8xx/9xx series from Beyers.

As for your requirements on cans, I'd look into Sony MDR-MA9000. It's not the most refined, but is open, very light, very easy to wear, doesn't press on your ears, goes well around the ears and has plenty of soundstage.

Other than that, I'd take a look at the AKG 7xx series, Q701, K701, K702, etc.

I agree with the MA900 recommendation. Just got them today and they almost feel like you aren't wearing anything at all. You could probably wear huge safety goggles with them and still feel comfortable, never mind with just glasses on.

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #12 of 14
I've long wanted to try those Sony 900s, pretty unique design, only seen a few other headphones that do the 'spacer pad'/earspeaker thing.

Jan 21, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #13 of 14
I have absolutely no issues with my HD650. You should be able to find HD600/HD650 close to your price range.
I've had them on for 8+ hours and i couldn't feel them on pressing on my glasses. Also, considering the fact that some people find that the HD650 have a bit to much clamping force and that my frames are plastic and about 2 mm (0.08'') thick...give them a try if you get a chance.

Never tried memory foam replacement pads, but i guess they could help with certain headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back