Comfortable on-ears w/ glasses - do they exist?
Sep 6, 2021 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

teofilrocks

500+ Head-Fier
I'm in a lot of video calls and meetings from home now. My headphones are all full-size (see sig), and all are a bit distracting when I need to wear them. On longer calls, they also start to make my head hot - even the HD6XX. So I'm wondering if there are some on-ear options that are comfortable and at least a bit less obvious than my typical Senn or Beyer. I don't have a large head, so an LCD3 would be the wrong direction :smile:

Things to note:
  • I wear glasses, so that needs to factor into the "comfortable"aspect.
  • Wired is preferred. Don't want to have to worry about battery level during my work day, nor connectivity when I need to switch from my active monitors to headphones if the conversation needs to go more private.
  • Don't need total isolation. So open or closed back is fine I think.
  • IEMs are a no-go because of how loud the sound of hearing my own voice gets in my head. Which is unfortunate for the Moondrop Starfield I picked up recently.
  • The dac/amp at my work desk is a Universal Audio Apollo Arrow thunderbolt interface, if it's relevant.
  • Don't need built-in mic. I use a dedicated mic.
  • Budget: I'd like to keep it around the same tier as the HD650 or under.
I really haven't ever been in the market for on-ears, so I'm almost totally out of the loop here. I've looked at maybe the Grado 325x, but don't know how well they sit on the ears for any length of time.

Your suggestions are welcome.

Sep 6, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 11
My hifiman sundaras are extremely comfortable. They don't feel heavy, they don't get warm and my glasses have no effect on them. They don't put pressure on them and start to hurt and its one of the few headphones I have used where wearing glasses effects the sound. Some phones your glasses break the seal of the cup around your ears and it changes how they sound. This isn't the case with the sundara.

Sep 6, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 11
My hifiman sundaras are extremely comfortable. They don't feel heavy, they don't get warm and my glasses have no effect on them. They don't put pressure on them and start to hurt and its one of the few headphones I have used where wearing glasses effects the sound. Some phones your glasses break the seal of the cup around your ears and it changes how they sound. This isn't the case with the sundara.
I’m pretty sure the Sundara is not at all an "on-ear" headphone. Looks the same size as the HE-400 I owned.

Sep 6, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 11
Koss Porta Pro with Yaxi pads are the closest thing i have found to a 'comfortable' on ear.
I wear glasses and i have a set of Grado 325i and they are not as comfortable as the Koss.

Sep 6, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #6 of 11
Koss Porta Pro with Yaxi pads are the closest thing i have found to a 'comfortable' on ear.
I wear glasses and i have a set of Grado 325i and they are not as comfortable as the Koss.
Thats funny actually, and a little ironic. I had a pair of PortaPros, that I put those yellow Sennheiser pads on. Great little headphone. My wife thought they were funky and retro looking, so I ended up giving them to her. I wore them once to a meeting, and immediately got interesting comments, haha. I could go there again, but I’d need more discrete pads. I’ll take a look.

Would you consider the 325i ”un”comfortable? I know the new 325x has a new pad design, but it’s not like it’s a completely different headphone..

Sep 6, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 11
Sorry I didn't catch the "on ear" part. I personally have never worn a pair of on ear phones that were comfortable. They all get irritating in a short time. And even worse when you are wearing glasses. And if they fit loose enough to not put pressure on your ears the normally don't stay on.

I will still stick to my suggestion though. While the sundara's are fairly large and over ear they do not get hot at all. They are the most comfortable headphones I have ever had. I normally don't like wearing headphones for very long. I can wear these for hours and can actually forget I have them on if I am being still.

Sep 6, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 11
Thats funny actually, and a little ironic. I had a pair of PortaPros, that I put those yellow Sennheiser pads on. Great little headphone. My wife thought they were funky and retro looking, so I ended up giving them to her. I wore them once to a meeting, and immediately got interesting comments, haha. I could go there again, but I’d need more discrete pads. I’ll take a look.

Would you consider the 325i ”un”comfortable? I know the new 325x has a new pad design, but it’s not like it’s a completely different headphone..
I have the original SR325, glasses wearer, and the circular pads don't press on the temples of the glasses, just the tip that's already under my ear. I find them comfortable;. The SR325 have metal housings, and are heavier than the SR225 or SR125, which are plastic and very light.

Even the SR125 (which I also have) are going to give you much better sound than the Porta Pros. If the yellow Senn pads are the ones for the HD414--though that seems unlikely; I don't remember the PortaPro drivers as being that large-- then the Grado pads are exactly the same size, so you'd already know how they'll fit. (Some people swap the Sennheiser HD414 pads onto the Grados, but for me they lowered the sound quality.)

Unfortunately Grado gave the "i" series a stiff, bulky cord which is, as always with Grado, nondetachable, so you might be better off with previous iterations. The "i" series does add a cushion under the headband for improved comfort, though. If you're sitting still the stupid cord won't matter.

I prefer the Grado L-cush (bowl-shaped) pads to the new flat ones. There are some super-cheap good knockoffs here, well worth a try.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32508420454.htm

Sep 7, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #9 of 11

I would get the Massdrop version and Yaxi pads. I got mine in Orange, but they come in black. I think even if you don't get them on sale total cost would be under $50.
As far as the 325...i can only listen to them for an hour or so. Mine are modded ( lighter cable from an SR80, custom padded leather headband) and i still don't find them comfortable.

Sep 7, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #10 of 11
Screenshot_2021-09-06-21-31-01~2.png

Sep 7, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #11 of 11
I would get the Massdrop version and Yaxi pads. I got mine in Orange, but they come in black. I think even if you don't get them on sale total cost would be under $50.
As far as the 325...i can only listen to them for an hour or so. Mine are modded ( lighter cable from an SR80, custom padded leather headband) and i still don't find them comfortable.
Hey that’s a good call on the Drop version. Stealthier look with mic for $38. That's pretty hard to beat.

EDIT: Pulled the trigger. No biggie if I end up trying a Grado, too. Always good to have a spare PortaPro around.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back