Comfortable On-ear headphones for gaming & general listening (RHA SA950i, MF100, V-MODA XS?)
May 28, 2014 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

gaz552

New Head-Fier
As the thread title says, I'm looking for some good on-ear headphones to use for gaming and general listening.

I know full sized over ear open backed headphones would be the best option for gaming, but that's not what I want.

I need closed back headphones as I game in the living room so I need to be able to game without disturbing the wife watching tv and vice versa.

I currently have a set of Sennheiser PC350 SE's which are rather nice, but I have a problem with circumaural headphones as they put pressure on the glands beneath the ears which for some reason can be very uncomfortable for me.

I'm trying my best to not spend a fortune but we all know how these things go once you start researching.

I have tried a set of Sennheiser Momentum on-ears which I rather liked but I think they may be a bit too bass heavy for my liking.  (Certainly different sounding to my Sennheiser HD25-ii I used on my decks, but the clamp pressure of those prevent me from wanting to use them for extended periods)

I came across the RHA SA950i which seem very cheap, but I do have one of their in-ear models and I really like them so thought these would be worth a look, and they are apparently very comfortable.

Next potential candidate is the Musical Fidelity MF100, about £120 so not crazy expensive, and the sound is supposed to be very good with a good soundstage.

Random option Aiaiai TMA-1 X, don't know enough about these to know whether they warrant serious consideration.

Last headphone I'm considering (and most expensive) is the V-MODA XS.  People liked the V-80's but apparently they sounded a bit dark (so probably not great for gaming), however the XS apparently sound better (better mids and highs).  These look very interesting, small, supposedly comfortable and I could also get the boompro mic if I want to use it as a headset when not using my desk mic.

Anyhow, I'm looking for some peoples opinions on these headphones and hopefully some insights to how they preform when gaming too.

P.S.  I have checked out the Mad Lust Envy's headphone gaming thread, only a couple of them are on-ear headphones, most are over ear and open backed.

May 29, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #2 of 3
Hi gaz552, welcome to Head-Fi. 
smile.gif
  Sorry about your wallet. 
redface.gif

Speaking of wallets, what is your budget?  I'm inclined to recommend a Beyerdynamic T51p or T51i (if you need an Apple remote) as I'm field testing it now, and it's fantastic sounding.

May 29, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #3 of 3
  Hi gaz552, welcome to Head-Fi. 
smile.gif
  Sorry about your wallet. 
redface.gif

Speaking of wallets, what is your budget?  I'm inclined to recommend a Beyerdynamic T51p or T51i (if you need an Apple remote) as I'm field testing it now, and it's fantastic sounding.

Thanks, and yeah my wallet doesn't like this place... lol

Budget is... 'relative' lol.
Ideally I didn't want to spend more than £100, but if there is something really worth it I could be tempted.
As I said in my original post, I do/did (they're at my dad's house) have a set of Sennheiser HD25-ii's which I really enjoyed for mixing.  They were about £140 and I'd pay that again for them if I had to as I really liked them.  Unfortunately, for what I'm looking at the moment they are unsuitable.  Far too high clamp pressure, and in the case of the HD25's I have too hard to drive without an amp.

Anyway I think you get my point, I'm trying to stick roughly to that budget, but will stretch slightly for something special.

Regarding the Beyerdynamic T51p, they are too expensive for my needs at the moment.

For some reason I'm really tempted with the V-Moda XS, if they happen to be as comfortable as the momentum on-ear's (leather vs alcantara) then it would come down to their sound which is apparently very good.

Comfort has to be near the top of the list for my requirements aslong with good sound that can be suitable for gaming.
Sennheiser's Momentum on-ear seemed to be great comfort wise but sound wise I don't think they would be great for gaming.  (If music was my only requirement I think I'd have bought a pair of momentums as they were enjoyable to listen too)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back