Comfortable kind of portable rock phones
Dec 28, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArturoGH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? Can anyone corroborate this, because Ive read otherwise.

For me, the ATH-AD700s are an improvement, and I don't even like those that much. I guess having GS-1000s have taken away my taste for lower end headphones, however I didn't even like the 595s when I had them before I had my 1000s.

Dec 28, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Im now searching for a good set of rock headphones. Emphasis on them being for rock music and that they are comfortable. By portable, I mean that they are not huge, so go ahead and recommend any that may not be EXACTLY portable. Though, in the end, I might sacrify the portable part if worth it.

The standard suggestion would be the Sennheiser HD25, though I personally find them a bit brash and lacking in deep bass. If you can go bigger, I'd definitely recommend checking out the Beyerdynamic DT770 (80 ohms). In terms of size they are probably not what most people would consider portable, but they are very solidly built and aren't easily damaged. Very comfortable and great for rock - Satriani sounds awesome
beyersmile.png

Dec 28, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #19 of 33
I think it sums up to these up until now:

Sennheiser HD 595
Beyerdynamic DT770
ATH A900

As I said before, I had the SE530. I quite enjoyed them. If one of the phones above has a similar sound signature, Itd be great. then again, I havent heard anything else high end (apart from the shures that is). So if you think youve got a case here for very instrumental music, please go ahead! TIA!

Dec 28, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Ive also heard the DT770 2005 are better, but not sure really.

The 2005 "consumer edition" of the DT770 is considerably more expensive than the "Pro", for no apparent benefit. Also it is 250 ohms, making it hard to drive from a portable player. I'd stick with the 80 ohm "Pro" model.

Dec 28, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #24 of 33
The A900s are in no way portable. They are very comfortable, but aren't really secure enough to move around much and they are way big. The 770s are about as big but fit more securely. I like mine, but would not consider them for portable use due to their size and the fact that they can't be worn around the neck or really put away in anything smaller than a large bag.

For portable use I really prefer my Audio Technica ES7s. I tried the Denon 1001s, but didn't like their sound nearly as much. I listen to blues with a guitar emphasis and the ES7s, along with my Grados, really sound great. They have nice tight bass, tighter than the 770s, and the mids and highs are very involving. If you adjust/bend the ES7 band you can control the security of the fit and the comfort (at least to some extent). As to comfort, I can wear the ES7s for more than an hour, and feel that's sufficient for portable use. If I need anything longer, I'll wear IEMs.

So, given my limited experience, I'd buy the ES7s and a pair of SR60s or 80s and still be under your budget. And a rockin' you'd be goin'.

Mooch

Dec 28, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #25 of 33
Ive just realized that I need something closed for the places Im going to use this at.

What about the HD280? I know its much cheaper, but Im trying to save
tongue.gif

Just tell me this if you can...comparing SQ between the SE530 and the HD280, ho would each fair? I know they are different (IEM and heapdhone), but what moocher said opened my eyes. Most of these big headphones I wont be able to put in a bag, or wear around my neck. Hence either rebuying my stolen 530s or gettin the HD280 if they sound better. HELP please!

Dec 31, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Barry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The standard suggestion would be the Sennheiser HD25, though I personally find them a bit brash and lacking in deep bass. If you can go bigger, I'd definitely recommend checking out the Beyerdynamic DT770 (80 ohms). In terms of size they are probably not what most people would consider portable, but they are very solidly built and aren't easily damaged. Very comfortable and great for rock - Satriani sounds awesome
beyersmile.png

You say Satriani sounds awesome, but Ive also read that these phones have recessed mids! How come!

Right now Im checking out various closed headphones such as the DT770. HD25 and HFI 780. I want detailed rock that comes to life.

Dec 31, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #28 of 33
I just read through this thread again. Frankly, you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you don't listen to some Grados. I find them very comfortable with comfies (standard with SR60s). BUT, for your portable needs, the Audio Technica ES7s sound wonderful with all the music you like. Try used.

Mooch

Jan 1, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #29 of 33
Some suggestions...

beyerdynamic DT531, the original groovalizers. =) I really want to buy a pair but I never see them for reasonable prices. =/ Mids are recessed, but not terribly so.

Audio Technica ATH-AD700, great all-around cans that I really am fond of with a lot of guitar-heavy metal and post-rock. They won't have nearly the bass that other options do, but that bass is very tight and fast. Lovely midrange, a bit "funky" but in a good, good way. These sound ridiculously good for how little they cost.

AKG K601, these are spectacular for low, crushingly heavy doom metal and post-metal. a bit cloudy in the highs. definitely a warm headphone, but they did that slow-creeping doom, drone and sludge very well. If I were made of money I'd own a pair just to listen to Rosetta. They have AKG's typical honey-sweet mids, so you won't be missing anything there.

Jan 1, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #30 of 33
BTW, I had a pair of SE530 that got stolen, an dI definetely dont want to get something that sounds worse. If thats not possible, Ill just get another pair of those. And I need them closed, as I might use them in places like a library
tongue.gif
. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back