comfortable in ears for laying in bed watching tv
Sep 9, 2009 at 9:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JeffB1961

Previously known as BOOTYMONSTER
you guys help me narrow down my headphone choices to sennheiser 555 and akg 700D . i found a pair of 555s local for a good deal . now i want something for laying in bed watching tv a night . ill be laying on my side , so my 555s wont quite cut it . im thinking a small in ear type , but it needs to be comfortable . im looking at the jvc HA-FX66B air-cushion , but im open to other very modestly priced options . i guess im looking for bang for the buck , they dont need to be terribly clean since i wont be doing critical listening . but i would like for them to sound pretty decent (if possible in my 20 to 25 buck max range) and they NEED TO BE COMFORTABLE .

p.s. are the skullcandy titan's anygood ?
http://www.target.com/Skullcandy-Tit...uds%20SC-Titan

Sep 9, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #3 of 7
thats a good suggestion , but i want stereo and that looks like it wouldnt be soft and comfortable on my ear .

thanks though
regular_smile .gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #6 of 7
my tv is a flatscreen lcd with the optical audio output going to a older pioneer dolby/DTS reciever . the headphones will be pluged into the reciever and a headphone extension cord will be used . maybe the laying in bed watching tv thing is giving the wrong impression . i basically want a pretty comfortable yet decent sounding set of in ear phones that are in the $20 range . ill go up to 25 or 30 bucks if itll get me something noticably better sounding . im not fooling myself thinking im gonna get wonderous clean powerful sound for the price range im looking at . i figgured yall could give me some ideas on what to look at and what to stay awayfrom if my two inital choices arnt something yall think will do what i want them to .

thanks for the speedy replies too
wink.gif

Sep 25, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by exe163 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is this?

Sleep Headphones - the best new sleep aid | SleepPhones

Looks a little bit gimmicky. Anyone has experience with this?

I have these. I only got them because nothing else worked at all for sleeping... no matter what I tried it was both uncomfortable and a risk breaking the phones (I sacrificed a pair of E2C's this way). My main issue here is I tend to sleep on the side of my head, so one speaker has to be squeezed between head and pillow.

Initially I got the gray large model after taking putting a string around my head and measuring it to see what size would fit. With those models you are supposed to place the right speaker over the ear and adjust the left with a cord that has a small bead attached to it over the left ear. For the gray large I had to pull the left speaker as far back as it would go to go over my left ear, which eventually became a problem.

At first I didn't find it very comfortable to wear... they seemed to put a slight bit of pressure on my forehead. But I discovered that there was a bit of a break in period... after some time it actually was pretty comfortable and, for what it's worth, I was able to sleep comfortably in them when nothing else I tried worked. The wires come out of the front which looks strange but it actually isn't a problem when sleeping, you can just put the cord over the top of your head and clip an mp3 player to the headstand, sheet or pillow, and ultimately aside from going wireless that's the only place the cord can go since most people will sleep on their backs or sides and don't sleep with the forehead down.

Sound quality, of course, is a sacrifice. No one will be blown away and audiophiles will probably find the sound quality way below minimum standards. I tend to use them for brainwave and trance type mp3s so it was not a huge concern for me. If I was listening to the normal music I listen to it would be a greater concern.

Eventually when pulling the beaded adjustment cord it broke. By the time this happened they'd come out with a new model: SleepPhones Black | SleepPhones

This one has a one size fits all band as well as removable speakers so you can machine wash the band (the company claims you can hand wash the original model without ruining the speakers).

I asked them if they could replace my broken model with this one and they did, no questions asked (I didn't even have to send back the old one to show it was broken). The speakers fit much easier over my ears, and once again there was a break in period before the band was comfortable (maybe 2-3 nights), but once broken in it was comfortable enough to sleep in.

So, in short, it's not a product for audiophiles looking for great quality sound to put them to bed, but they do what they advertise, which is to provide a comfortable way to sleep with stereo headphones.

If you sleep on your back with the back of head down, your options are a lot wider.... most comfortable headphones should work for sleeping. But if you sleep on your side like I do, this is one of the very few (perhaps only) products that'll work. If you do get it I'd definitely recommend the sleep phones black model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back