Comfortable, immersive closed headphones for $500 max
Feb 21, 2020 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

arch5

New Head-Fier
Looking for something to replace my Sony MDR-MA900s that I got like 7 years ago. They sounded great, but they weren't very comfortable. Looking to go with closed headphones this time around.

Priorities (from most important to least):
1. Comfort, as these will be worn for 10+ hours at a time at a computer
2. Immersion & isolation from outside noise
3. Sound quality with music (99% will be electronica like this):
4. Sound quality/"immersion" with video games

I do not have a DAC or amp. I normally just plug straight into my motherboard's onboard audio jack.
All suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #3 of 22
Maybe have a look at the Audioquest Nightowl and see what you think.

Those look like they would fit my needs almost perfectly; but unfortunately they're discontinued and I can't find them new anywhere for $500 tops. There are a couple people selling them new for >$500 but I can't justify the price knowing that they retailed for way less before being discontinued.

Feb 21, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #4 of 22
Those look like they would fit my needs almost perfectly; but unfortunately they're discontinued and I can't find them new anywhere for $500 tops. There are a couple people selling them new for >$500 but I can't justify the price knowing that they retailed for way less before being discontinued.
The TR-X00 are pretty great, kinda U-shaped headphones, although they aren't on sale right now on Drop. Though, I'm sure you could find them elsewhere.

Feb 21, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #5 of 22
I guess it's been close to a year since they were on sale for cheap. They often pop up in the classifieds section of this forum.

Feb 21, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #6 of 22
I might look into Beyerdynamic if isolation, comfort and sound are most important. Fostex might not provide the comfort and isolation you're expecting.

Feb 21, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #8 of 22
Any thoughts on the Sony MDR-Z7M2? A little over budget, yeah.
A little dark sounding, quite comfortable. Have you considered a smaller, full size can? Such as the Sony mdr-1am2, Audio Technica Msr7b, or Meze 99 Noir? You don't always get better sound from bigger, more expensive headphones.

Feb 21, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #9 of 22
A little dark sounding, quite comfortable. Have you considered a smaller, full size can? Such as the Sony mdr-1am2, Audio Technica Msr7b, or Meze 99 Noir? You don't always get better sound from bigger, more expensive headphones.

I have not, I'll have to take a look. Honestly there's so many choices at this point, the Audioquest Nightowl still seems like it would fit my needs best, though I worry about the unique "dark" sound people describe ruining the generally upbeat treble electronica I listen to. The MDR-MA900s really shined in midrange and treble detail. I have no way to try anything posted in this thread before I buy, so I basically have to go in blind.

Feb 21, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #10 of 22
If comfort is your number one priority I'd suggest you look into finding a used Mr.Speakers Aeon Flow closed. Most comfy headphone ive ever tried,bar none.
It also hs a very nice clean,transparent sound. However I found it lacking in bass slam and texture,so thats something to consider.

Feb 21, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #11 of 22
I have not, I'll have to take a look. Honestly there's so many choices at this point, the Audioquest Nightowl still seems like it would fit my needs best, though I worry about the unique "dark" sound people describe ruining the generally upbeat treble electronica I listen to. The MDR-MA900s really shined in midrange and treble detail. I have no way to try anything posted in this thread before I buy, so I basically have to go in blind.
I'd look into the Msr7b. Though if you're looking for elevated bass, you won't find it here. The instrument separation and upper mids - lower treble are fantastic. Some of the best I've heard. They can get a little bright, but they respond to EQ very well. If you want a smoother, energetic, and organic sound, with elevated bass, I'd recommend the 99 Noir. Both are great cans, and class leading in that price range imo.

Feb 21, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #13 of 22
Went with the MSR7b. Will edit this post with my thoughts once I receive it.
Sweet. Do you have a source that you can utilize the balanced option with? Let me know what you think. I also have some good eq settings, should you find the lower treble a bit too much.

Feb 22, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #15 of 22
What is your maximum budget? Maybe the Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless? Just because it got 'wireless' name it doesn't mean it's full wireless. You can use it wired too using the included 3.5mm aux cable. It's very comfortable and immersive. I use it for everything too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back