comfortable IEM?
May 6, 2007 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

moonjo

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I'm looking to buy an entry level IEM for sub $100.
Main thing I'm looking for is the comfort as I listen to music 8 hours straight during work. I have AKG k240 but it gets sweaty after awhile. I usually listen to classical, ballad, pop, rock. I don't care about base that much.
I've found Shure e2c, UE Super.fi 3, V-Moda Vibe, Jays d-Jays, Etymotic er6i, Westone UM1 so far.
If you could comment on these or any others, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

May 6, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #2 of 8
I have the ER6i's -- they're very small and, for me, comfortable with foam ear tips (don't like the tri-flanges ... which can be cut down to bi-flanges; more rounded bi-flanges are also available). I have had no problems listening to them for four-hour stretches.

I have read very good user reports of the comfort factor of UM1's. I believe they come with Comply foams, which are an extra expense to keep replacing, vs. silicone ear pieces, but worth it for me for fit, comfort and sound (and long-term listening sessions) ... I use the short foams on my ER6i's, and for me the expense is worthwhile. The new Shure black foams wouldn't need replacing as often as the Comply foams, and are more easily and effectively washable, too.

The Vibes sound nice and "fun" - but I've only worn my friend's for short periods of time ... I would need to defer to someone who has worn them for hours at a time to comment on comfort.

The Vibes or some other non-isolating earphone might work well in an office or work situation -- depends on how much isolation you can tolerate at work.

Hey -- welcome to Head-Fi ... sorry about your wallet!

May 6, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #3 of 8
If you need good isolations from real IEMs + comfort, then UM1 will do a great job. Simply the best ergonomics I've seen in an IEM. They are super comfy IMHO and will sit flush on your ears. The comply tips, although sonically not the best, do give best comfort level though.

I can't recommend the Etys, because they are not designed to loop around ears so all the weights go onto the eartips that will hold them in place and in a long run gets fatiguing easily IMO. Even the Shure's are better in this regard.

EDIT: I know people will argue that you can always loop the Ety's cord around ear. I say yes you could, but that still would not bring the result even closer to what UM1 can offer, because they are simply not designed with that in mind, which you can tell clearly from the difference in shape between UM1 and that of ER6i.

May 6, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #4 of 8
i would definitely suggest the UM1 as the most comfortable universal IEM in your price range.

Westone makes the most ergonomic IEMs ever... i absolutely love how small and snug they are in your ears... when i put them in i barely even notice them. they make my e500s seem large! and the cable... oh the cable... it's amazing! it's so light and flexible, i don't even notice it

May 6, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #5 of 8
Internal ear shape varies widely from person to person. What's comfortable for me may be painful for you, and vice versa. So, really, you need to try them for yourself to see if they work for you. (1) You could buy them and see. On a $100 budget, this can be difficult, but hopefully you have at least one retailer nearby that stocks an IEM and has a liberal return policy. (2) Buy various earplugs and see if they're comfortable. I have a pair of Hearo earplugs that, I believe, use the Etymotic triflange; if these aren't comfortable at $15, the Etys won't be at $100. Also, you can try generic foam plugs: find a density that is comfortable, then use that material to make a custom plug for any IEM. That would be the cheapest way to go, but also the most work intensive.

May 6, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for the replies.
Yes, I gathered that UM1 was the most comfortable from browsing the forum.
I was kinda leaning towards Super.fi 3..
Since I've never tried IEM, would it be better to first try a cheap one and see if my ears like them? I know people say IEM take time to get used to but eventually they feel ok. But are there people who just can't stand IEM, period?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back