comfortable IEM for small ears
Sep 20, 2013 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mccawsome

New Head-Fier
Hi All,
I have been lurking here for a long time and finally made an account. First up, thank you all for the advice I have found here over the years.

I am looking to get some IEMs for jogging and walking the dog. Normally I stick with full sized headphones as I have small ears and anything in ear is both uncomfortable and tends to pop out. Maybe its just me buying bad IEMs but that has been my experience so far...  and they don't exactly let you try them on before buying so I am a little gun shy on spending too much without any indication of how they are. 

That said, if they are good I will spend the $$ so any price is fine as my main consideration is comfort and staying in my ear at this point. I have heard you can get custom made IEMs which I am open to but I don't know if these are good or not and I haven't seen any recommended near where I am  (Sydney Australia).

It will be powered by an iPod nano or galaxy s3 and I listen to a mix of music Dance, R&B, hip hop and rock (in about that order). I do love my base.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Sep 21, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 7
I was about to say Ety kids, but they lack bass. CIEM is likely a good option, but if your ears are small, you are likely not able to get multi BA ciems as they need some big housing. You could probably find triple or dual driver CIEM.

Sep 21, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #3 of 7
If you are going to get a good IEM, get a better DAP like the DX50 which is good for walking, but running with it is not a good idea. 
A cheap bass heavy option is the Hisound E212 and if you like a V-shaped sound, the Astrotec AX-60 is a good choice as a higher end IEM, but you will need a better source. 

Sep 21, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #4 of 7
How are you wearing your IEMs? For running you would probably have to wear them over ear for them not to pop out.
color]

More info here http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/ultimate-headphone-guide-articles-how-insert-ear-monitors
Not sure if you already know this but it took me a while to realize it. Wearing IEMs properly and getting a good seal makes a big difference to the sound you get.

I have small ears too, and find that IEMs with small housings tend to work best. For a cheap option you can consider the Philips SHE3580 or 3590 and use the smallest tips. They have a good amount of bass and isolate pretty well. 

For other options you can check out this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-295-iems-compared-vsonic-vc1000-added-09-03-13-p-760 Look for IEMs with small housings and low cable noise/microphonics. 

Edit: Definitely don't get the Monoprice 8320 or its variants

Users who are viewing this thread

Back