Comfortable IEM for noisy environments
Dec 9, 2016 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Moscow

New Head-Fier
I'm a big fan of earbuds but need some other earphones for noisy surroundings such as subway and planes. The thing is I do not feel comfortable with IEM in my ears. I own UE Triple.fi 10, but can't   stand it for more than 15 mins.
I've been recommended  Weston UM10 as comfortable IEMs. Great sounding but pricey.
Looking for wide stage with good localization. What are your recommendation? My budget $20-$80. 

Dec 9, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 4
Can't comment on sound (and I'll explain why), but I'd look at Etymotic. I've been using their passive earplugs for years and find them very comfortable and they isolate well - they make a version that's actually an IEM (uses the same tips, similar size, etc, its just a full on headphone and not just an earplug) that's around $100; that'd be where I'd start.

If your goal is to block out airplane noise, ANC headphones (and we'll go right for the brass ring: Bose) would be a good candidate. They will not do as well for more sporadic noise (e.g. the noises you may encounter on the subway/train), but that droning constant engine noise on a plane, they'll eat right up.

Dec 9, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 4
I've found that a pair of comply tips correctly inserted block off most of your ususal traffic/street noise. I'm in a flat next to a nightclub and sometimes use my IEM's inserted without the music playing to help me sleep. Plus I've almost been run over a bunch of times which I think is probably the best recommendation for passive noise cancelling you can get. If it's good enough to override my self preservation, tis some mighty fine noise cancelling.

Otherwise if you want active noise cancelling Bose are definitely a good shout, both in and over ear. 

Can't comment on sound (and I'll explain why), but I'd look at Etymotic. I've been using their passive earplugs for years and find them very comfortable and they isolate well - they make a version that's actually an IEM (uses the same tips, similar size, etc, its just a full on headphone and not just an earplug) that's around $100; that'd be where I'd start.

If your goal is to block out airplane noise, ANC headphones (and we'll go right for the brass ring: Bose) would be a good candidate. They will not do as well for more sporadic noise (e.g. the noises you may encounter on the subway/train), but that droning constant engine noise on a plane, they'll eat right up.

Dec 9, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 4
I've found that a pair of comply tips correctly inserted block off most of your ususal traffic/street noise. I'm in a flat next to a nightclub and sometimes use my IEM's inserted without the music playing to help me sleep. Plus I've almost been run over a bunch of times which I think is probably the best recommendation for passive noise cancelling you can get. If it's good enough to override my self preservation, tis some mighty fine noise cancelling.

Otherwise if you want active noise cancelling Bose are definitely a good shout, both in and over ear. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back