(Comfortable) headphones under a $100
Mar 23, 2016 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ZerkMeister

100+ Head-Fier
It is true that everyone's definition of comfort differs but I hope there might be a middle ground.

I had a headset that broke recently known as the Turtle Beach P11s, these were very comfortable to me.
If there are headphones similiar to these, please do tell.

My criteria:

1. Hate head bands that have leather or some sort of cusion. Flat ones preferred.
2. Comfortably large earpads. I know for some headphones you can just buy the pads separately.
3. Not a crushing clamp on your head.
4. I want headphones not a headset.

Reason I want headphones and not headset is because the wiring of my recent headset got tangled up internally which started the crackling sound 
and mic stopped working as well. 
I wish to try the separate route of going with a mic and headphone.

I've seen the VModas with a combination of XL pads so far as an option.
I mainly will be using for skype and gaming.

Thanks in advance. :D
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Mar 24, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #2 of 12
Not sure which VMODA you will be able to get with XL pads for under $100 (?). If you  are open to an open pair of headphones, then I would direct you to the Sennheiser HD518, which are quite comfortable and good for gaming and in your price range. If you want closed, go with Takstar Pro 80 (also known as Gemini HSR-1000) and use replacement (HM5 or SRH940) pads for comfort. Good luck!

Mar 24, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 12
Yeah sorry I forgot those are priced higher. Thanks for the input. Going to look into the sennheiser hd518.

Mar 25, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #4 of 12
Most recommended is Takstar pro80/kingston hyperx cloud.
Said to be very good sounding and have leather and plush pads !
Maybe HM5 pads(stock, not extra thick) would increase comfort even more.

If YOu want too look at other headphones there are plenty of other more comfortable options too (more breathable) 

Mar 26, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #5 of 12
  Most recommended is Takstar pro80/kingston hyperx cloud.
Said to be very good sounding and have leather and plush pads !
Maybe HM5 pads(stock, not extra thick) would increase comfort even more.

If YOu want too look at other headphones there are plenty of other more comfortable options too (more breathable) 

Yea was looking at the Takstars too they look very comfy. I have heard good things about  the Hyper X Clouds but they are headsets something I am steering away from at the moment.
Headphone case scenario if wire goes bad it can be replaced for some headphones, headset wiring goes bad you are screwed unless there are some headsets that have detachable cables.

Thanks for the help :D.

Mar 27, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #6 of 12
They're just over the $100 mark, but I'd recommend looking into the Audio-Technica AD700x. I purchased the AD700x's predecessor, the AD700 a few years ago, and they were the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.

Mar 27, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 12
Ooo, just by looking at them makes me all fuzzy inside lol. I will definitely look into these. Thanks for the suggestion.
Also, the fact that its a simple headband no cushion the headband makes it all the more appealing for me.

Mar 28, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #9 of 12
Sennheiser HD558

Ok so is there a break down in differences for the
Sennheiser HD 518, 558, 598?
Is each one a significant upgrade?
What sets them apart?

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #10 of 12
What sets them apart?

Material's quality. Not much different between them IMO. 

Ok here is my recommended list of budget-fi headphones:
_Tasktar Hi2050 (semi-open, neutral, a bit bass light) < comfy comfy comfy comfy
Brainwavz HM5, Fisher Audio 003, Jaycar Pro Monitor, NVX Audio XPT100 (closed, slightly warm) < a bit tight
_ Sennheiser momentum over-ears (can fine used one for under 100 bucks, closed, slightly warm) < okay
_ Audio Technica A-900x, AD-900x (closed and open, mid-centric) < comfy comfy comfy
_ HD 558, HD 598 (open, slighty warm) < comfy comfy
 ....(I'm too lazy)...

p/s: Just try something hi-fi and get on the no-way-back hobby.

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #11 of 12
What sets them apart?

I only own the HD598. I know they all use the same driver, and there's a mod to 558 that makes it sounds very similar to 598. I don't know where the mod is written at.

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #12 of 12
  Material's quality. Not much different between them IMO. 

Ok here is my recommended list of budget-fi headphones:
_Tasktar Hi2050 (semi-open, neutral, a bit bass light) < comfy comfy comfy comfy
Brainwavz HM5, Fisher Audio 003, Jaycar Pro Monitor, NVX Audio XPT100 (closed, slightly warm) < a bit tight
_ Sennheiser momentum over-ears (can fine used one for under 100 bucks, closed, slightly warm) < okay
_ Audio Technica A-900x, AD-900x (closed and open, mid-centric) < comfy comfy comfy
_ HD 558, HD 598 (open, slighty warm) < comfy comfy
 ....(I'm too lazy)...

p/s: Just try something hi-fi and get on the no-way-back hobby.

Thanks for the suggestions.
The Tasktar look just makes me think twice but the cups are enormous and look very comfy.
The Brainwavz HM5 are huge! It gives me the feel of wearing a mask lol. This is definitely a candidate.
Im leaning towards the Sennheisers and Audio Technicas personally.
Thanks again!

I only own the HD598. I know they all use the same driver, and there's a mod to 558 that makes it sounds very similar to 598. I don't know where the mod is written at.

Yea I think it was the foam mod that I heard about. Thanks for the information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back