Comfortable headphones 200$
Aug 23, 2013 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

HDSingularity

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am looking for a new pair of headphones because my current ones(Shure 750) is not very comfortable. I am currently looking at VModa Crossfade LP. I have read reviews that they were not so popular. Could it be a replacement for my current headphones or should I look into something completely different?

Thank you

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #2 of 14
What are you looking for sound wise, what kinds of music do you listen to?

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
I mostly listen to Trance and a little bit of everything else.

Beyer Dyanmic Dt 990 Pro 250. Comfiest headphone I own, a lot of nice TIGHT DEEEP bass for what ever EDM you can throw at it, only issue is no isolation and it LEAKS like crazy! 

For closed, if you can get the Fit the Akg K550 is actually really comfy imo, but not as much bass as the Dt 990 but it isolates and it's JUST as tight and deeP! 

Aug 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
Beyer Dyanmic Dt 990 Pro 250. Comfiest headphone I own, a lot of nice TIGHT DEEEP bass for what ever EDM you can throw at it, only issue is no isolation and it LEAKS like crazy! 

For closed, if you can get the Fit the Akg K550 is actually really comfy imo, but not as much bass as the Dt 990 but it isolates and it's JUST as tight and deeP! 

Sound leaking is not something I want and the AKG are too much for my budget. Thank you for the suggestion.

Aug 24, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #6 of 14
Aug 24, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #7 of 14
You know what, I think I'll give the DT990 a shot. Since it is 250 ohm, I guess I will need an AMP. I am looking at the Xonar DGX since it has a built-in amp. Is it a safe choice or should I go with an external amp?

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
You know what, I think I'll give the DT990 a shot. Since it is 250 ohm, I guess I will need an AMP. I am looking at the Xonar DGX since it has a built-in amp. Is it a safe choice or should I go with an external amp?

It is up to you, a sound card might be nice since it should give you a better sounding DAC along with an amp, But you could also MAYBE try a Used Fiio e17 Dac Amp as well, the Fiio functions as a USB Sound card, and a headphone amp. So you can use it with your pc and well ANY pc that has a USB port.

So you can get the fiio E17 for about $120 used here on head fi, there is also the e07k it MIGHT drive the 250 ohm cans well. Still I own the dt 990s and I can wear them for DAYS literally. Super comfy but they do leak sound in and out 

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
It is up to you, a sound card might be nice since it should give you a better sounding DAC along with an amp, But you could also MAYBE try a Used Fiio e17 Dac Amp as well, the Fiio functions as a USB Sound card, and a headphone amp. So you can use it with your pc and well ANY pc that has a USB port.

So you can get the fiio E17 for about $120 used here on head fi, there is also the e07k it MIGHT drive the 250 ohm cans well. Still I own the dt 990s and I can wear them for DAYS literally. Super comfy but they do leak sound in and out 

Thank you for your time, just pulled the trigger on the DT990. Now for the amp, would a Fiio e17 equivalent to a Essence STX since I can get them both for around 150$?

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Thank you for your time, just pulled the trigger on the DT990. Now for the amp, would a Fiio e17 equivalent to a Essence STX since I can get them both for around 150$?

Yes, get the E17, In the long run of things you will enjoy it more! A sound card is nice but, when you are away from your computer it's useless. Where as the E17 works with most ANY pc any where, and it also works with any Portable Music Player you might get,

also sorry about your wallet <3., you have been warned :D

That said, welcome to Head Fi xD. 

Still the E17 would be a great option for that price, HOWEVER if you play Pc games the e17 will not work with "surround sound" or other DSP effects. it works with Eq though. Still I PC game like a maniac but mostly MMO's so my External Dac and amp work great for me. 

But for PURE music enjoyment the E17 is your best bet :D 

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
Yes, get the E17, In the long run of things you will enjoy it more! A sound card is nice but, when you are away from your computer it's useless. Where as the E17 works with most ANY pc any where, and it also works with any Portable Music Player you might get,

also sorry about your wallet <3., you have been warned :D

That said, welcome to Head Fi xD. 

Still the E17 would be a great option for that price, HOWEVER if you play Pc games the e17 will not work with "surround sound" or other DSP effects. it works with Eq though. Still I PC game like a maniac but mostly MMO's so my External Dac and amp work great for me. 

But for PURE music enjoyment the E17 is your best bet :D 

My wallet is fine, I didn't spent a penny this summer. I'll look into the Fiio then.

Thank you

Aug 24, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
My wallet is fine, I didn't spent a penny this summer. I'll look into the Fiio then.

Thank you

You say that now, but trust us bro :D you wallet will hate you soon! 

This is coming from a guy who started with ONE $80 pair of cans... then I got my Zune HD... then my Fiio E6... then my Dt 880s... than my cMoy and my Hifiman Hm 601... than my Mad Dogs... sold those then my Millet 12ua7 Hybrid tube, then  the w1000x... than my Dt 990... than my Matrix... and my oDac... and then recently the Akg k550, the JDS Labs C5 and the Ath a900x.... AND soon my Audio GD 10.32 oh and before that another Beyer Dt 880 [sold the first one]

SO yea trust us... your gonna be broke pretty soon :D, but the GOOD news RAMEN is really cheap ^^ and I can usualy get 75% of money spent back in resales. So it's a pretty decent investment. I've even MADE profit a few times! 

Either way, enjoy your new gear :D 

Aug 24, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
You say that now, but trust us bro :D you wallet will hate you soon! 

This is coming from a guy who started with ONE $80 pair of cans... then I got my Zune HD... then my Fiio E6... then my Dt 880s... than my cMoy and my Hifiman Hm 601... than my Mad Dogs... sold those then my Millet 12ua7 Hybrid tube, then  the w1000x... than my Dt 990... than my Matrix... and my oDac... and then recently the Akg k550, the JDS Labs C5 and the Ath a900x.... AND soon my Audio GD 10.32 oh and before that another Beyer Dt 880 [sold the first one]

SO yea trust us... your gonna be broke pretty soon :D, but the GOOD news RAMEN is really cheap ^^ and I can usualy get 75% of money spent back in resales. So it's a pretty decent investment. I've even MADE profit a few times! 

Either way, enjoy your new gear :D 

Alright, thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back