Comfortable Headphone Recommendation
Jul 18, 2013 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

raymondddli

New Head-Fier
Hello, I've been researching for a new pair of headphones for a while now. After constantly looking through the guides I cannot seem to find a definitive pair to purchase. The closest I've gotten were possibly these, http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-450-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B000WN9PLK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1374190206&sr=1-1&keywords=ultrasone+hfi-450. I just want a few more similar options before I make my purchase. 
Budget: Less than $100
Type: Over the ear, closed, foldable
Use: Nothing too serious, just listening to music and watching t.v. shows for college.
Isolation: Must have decent isolation
Comfort: Comfort is a must as that is my highest priority for these headphones
Preferred Music: Nothing too bass heavy. I mostly listen to alternative and mellow music

Jul 18, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
Hello, I've been researching for a new pair of headphones for a while now. After constantly looking through the guides I cannot seem to find a definitive pair to purchase. The closest I've gotten were possibly these, http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-450-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B000WN9PLK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1374190206&sr=1-1&keywords=ultrasone+hfi-450. I just want a few more similar options before I make my purchase. 
Budget: Less than $100
Type: Over the ear, closed, foldable
Use: Nothing too serious, just listening to music and watching t.v. shows for college.
Isolation: Must have decent isolation
Comfort: Comfort is a must as that is my highest priority for these headphones
Preferred Music: Nothing too bass heavy. I mostly listen to alternative and mellow music

Well, I had your requirements pegged to a T until you said, "Nothing too bass heavy."

The Sony MDR-V6 is less than $100, is over the ear, closed, and foldable.  It's got decent isolation and is very good for watching movies in addition to listening to music.  It's a very predominant headphone in use in recording studios and broadcast radio/tv.  They're ubiquitous, almost.  There's a very good and cheap mod that turns them into something that's competitive or superior to Beats and Bose, too - changing the earpads out for velours.  Pearstone makes pads specifically for the V6 or you can use Beyerdynamic DT-250 velour pads as well.  B&H Photo sells the V6 for $72.99 and the Pearstone velour pads are listed as an accessory at $19.95.  I don't think you can beat it for less than $100.

However, the V6 does have VERY authoritative bass, so not sure what you are looking for in that category.  Keep in mind that once you say "Over the ear, closed," that pretty much defines bass-thumping phones.  The V6's have very extended highs, though, which is probably why they're used so much in studios and broadcast.  You've seen them in commercials, Howard Stern, and many other scenes that show broadcast studios.

Jul 18, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
Well, I had your requirements pegged to a T until you said, "Nothing too bass heavy."

The Sony MDR-V6 is less than $100, is over the ear, closed, and foldable.  It's got decent isolation and is very good for watching movies in addition to listening to music.  It's a very predominant headphone in use in recording studios and broadcast radio/tv.  They're ubiquitous, almost.  There's a very good and cheap mod that turns them into something that's competitive or superior to Beats and Bose, too - changing the earpads out for velours.  Pearstone makes pads specifically for the V6 or you can use Beyerdynamic DT-250 velour pads as well.  B&H Photo sells the V6 for $72.99 and the Pearstone velour pads are listed as an accessory at $19.95.  I don't think you can beat it for less than $100.

However, the V6 does have VERY authoritative bass, so not sure what you are looking for in that category.  Keep in mind that once you say "Over the ear, closed," that pretty much defines bass-thumping phones.  The V6's have very extended highs, though, which is probably why they're used so much in studios and broadcast.  You've seen them in commercials, Howard Stern, and many other scenes that show broadcast studios.

Sorry when I meant nothing too bass heavy I mean I don't listen to dubstep and that kind of stuff. I considered the V6's but the Studio Monitor written onthe headband seems kind of obnoxious for someone like me since I am not one. I do plan to wear these outside and for traveling. Would they look okay in an outside setting?

Jul 18, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 8
If you're looking for something cool to wear, then probably not.  I'm not in this for the fashion benefits, though.  A pair of Stax SR-009's, HD-800's, or LCD-3's are not going to look too cool to your typical hipster crowd, either, but that doesn't mean they're not among the best headphones in the world.

Jul 18, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #6 of 8
I was going to recommend you some Grados but those are open so they'll leak.

Here are some options:

-Monoprice 8323 (with beyerdynamic's velour ear pads) only 23 bucks, excellent SQ for the price.

-Panasonic RP HTF 600S. They might be a bit bass heavy for you though.

-Sony MDR V6 or 7506, great all arounders for the price. Be sure to get the DT250 velour pads with them

-ATH M50, will be hard to find them for under $100 but if you do, get them.

Jul 18, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #7 of 8
Well, full disclosure: I'm not a fan of Ultrasone phones.  They have a sound signature of their own that they add to the sound.  Your link looks like a good buy, but honestly - the Sony's have been made and little changed for 20+ years:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V6-Monitor-Headphones-Voice/dp/B00001WRSJ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1374196919&sr=1-1&keywords=Sony+MDR-V6

P.S. Jude (yes, Head-Fi's Jude) preferred the Sony V6 when he first started out in headphones.  Granted, there a lot of headphones out there that are better, now, but at their price point ... it's a question of personal preferences, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back