Comfortable headphone $200 or under
Apr 24, 2014 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

diovan

New Head-Fier
Been using the earphones that came with my galaxy s4 that served well but looking to get headphones. Went to best buy and tried out some. Will be using primarily for pop, country music, movies, white noise for studying. I don't like headphones where the music overpowers the vocals or sounds distorted. Bose QC15 were the most comfortable but out of price range. Also, they seemed to isolate the ambient noise but not the noise of people talking. I use white noise on a regular basis to drown out people talking in library or at home. Also, QC15 were leaking pretty loudly and that's a deal breaker. ANC7 I tried had really good sound quality too but I don't remember if they leaked. What do you guys think about ATH M50X or ANC9 ? or a good ear bud ?

Apr 25, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #2 of 14
Almost any earbud (but I think you mean IEM) will drown out most of the noise compared to headphones if you purchase compatible Comply tips, which behave more like ear-plugs due to being made of memory foam instead of thin silicone.

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #3 of 14
I use white noise on a regular basis to drown out people talking in library or at home. Also, QC15 were leaking pretty loudly and that's a deal breaker.

If you haven't tried it, you should experiment with pink noise instead of white noise. More natural to the ears. Try googling pink noise vs white noise :)

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #4 of 14
I've always had comfort issues with headphones, I've tried the bose QC15 but they're only comfortable because they're really super light. Obviously they don't really sound that impressive either, so my suggestion is Denon ah-d600, they're much heavier but manage to be extremely comfortable, even moreso if you buy a headband to go over it on amazon

You might be able to find it in the low-mid $200s range on eBay.

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #5 of 14
I really like my ATH-M50's (non-X). If those are comfortable, and you want isolation from the noise around you, then I think the M50X is a safe bet. If Best Buy doesn't have them, I have seen them at Guitar Center (in case you want to try them on before you buy) (also, those are still the non-X version that I've seen).

I definitely prefer the shape and padding of my Sennheisers, but the M50's were still very soft on my ears and not too heavy. They did make my ears hot during long stretches, but that was easily solved with a 10-15 minute break.

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #6 of 14
Some people from the asian headphone thread really like the donscorpio dolphins. If you want more info, you'll have to ask the asian headphone thread because i dont own these.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2657356
http://www.head-fi.org/t/684159/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-headphones-iems-amps-dacs
http://www.head-fi.org/t/684159/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-headphones-iems-amps-dacs/2565

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #8 of 14
If you haven't tried it, you should experiment with pink noise instead of white noise. More natural to the ears. Try googling pink noise vs white noise
smily_headphones1.gif

Interesting. Celestial white noise is my favorite and go to for studying so far. 

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #10 of 14
If you haven't tried it, you should experiment with pink noise instead of white noise. More natural to the ears. Try googling pink noise vs white noise :)

This site very conveniently has both: http://simplynoise.com. I use it for burn in.

Apr 26, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #12 of 14
Fair enough. I don't think M50 and its variants are a good choice for vocals because the bass overshadows the mids. In that general price range, I recommend ZMF v1 ($230 and ask about the pilot pad).

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #13 of 14
Sennheiser's momentum on ear is not so bad in sound quality and comfortable issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back