Comfortable, good sound for less than $100US?
Feb 20, 2007 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Arothorn

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I need some help making a good purchase. My "significant other" put a budget on me of less than $100 for a new set of headphones. My constraints, besides price:

1) Comfortable. I need to be able wear these for up to 4 hours at work and walking around, traveling. Currently, I have yet to find a supra-aural set that is comfortable for more than an hour... Canal phones are also not comfortable for more than an hour... i.e. if they rest heavily on my ears or go in my ear they probably will hurt...

2) Decent sound. Sub $100 is a major constraint on this...

3) Using them with a computer and an 4G iPod 20GB. Music: classical, alternative, classic rock, blues and reggae

What I'm using now:

Koss portaPro - I've been using these for almost 20 years. They have been replaced by Koss once. They have a lifetime warranty... Bang-for-buck, I can't find anything better and the "light comfort zone" makes a big difference... It's also why I need your help...

Koss Plug - Modified with custom made inserts (i.e. a hole drilled in good earplugs). I only use these when mowing the grass and woodworking. Not bad sound for $10...

Grado SR-60 - Great for my stereo, but not for my iPod/Computer... Also not that comfortable, but sound very good.

Here is what I'm looking at now: Sennheiser PX200 or AKG K81. I'm just not sure how comfy these are...

Suggestions?

Thanks,
-> Aro

Feb 20, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 15
What about the ATH SJ5? Seems to be getting good reviews. I know a lot of people seem to think the K81DJs crush peoples heads. Mine seem to fit just fine and I have a big head. Maybe Im just lucky.

Feb 20, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 15
You can cross K81DJ right off the list. They are by far the most uncomfortable headphones I have ever owned, which is ashame, because they do sound nice for the price.

Based on what you are looking for, I doubt you will do much better than the PortaPros considering your budget. Perhaps the KOSS UR-40s will be worth looking into for what you are after.

Feb 20, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

You can cross K81DJ right off the list. They are by far the most uncomfortable headphones I have ever owned, which is ashame, because they do sound nice for the price.

Even I found the K81's extremely uncomfortable, but then I gave them to my girlfriend and she is really happy with them, no comfort issues at all. Also interesting is that I dont find them as uncomfortable as I used to after aeound 3 months of usage. When I tried them on yesterday, I was able to wear them for hours together and i was really surprised. So the comfort thing is kind of a meh point. They do sound great.

If comfort is highest priority, then the HD555 and AT A500 are the best bets. But then you cannot walk around or travel with those, as they are big. I would recommend the Koss KSC75. They are best sounding, reasonably comfy, and super cheap. Even after getting full size phones, I still like the sound of the KSC75, that goes to show how good they are.

Feb 21, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #7 of 15
alessandro ms-1, it gets good opinions here
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronmtorres /img/forum/go_quote.gif
alessandro ms-1, it gets good opinions here
smily_headphones1.gif

while i find Grados and Alessandros comfortable, it's a big gamble on comfort for most people. plus, he says he finds his SR60s uncomfortable, so MS1's can only be worse due to the added weight.

Feb 21, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
while i find Grados and Alessandros comfortable, it's a big gamble on comfort for most people. plus, he says he finds his SR60s uncomfortable, so MS1's can only be worse due to the added weight.

You know, I've been shocked. The 2 headphones everyone complains about as far as comfort, SR-60s and K81DJs, dont bother me in the least. And I have a big head. My Sennheiser 457s. Those bothered me and hurt my ears. I think it all has to do with one's head. Maybe mine's just odd shaped.

Feb 21, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #11 of 15
I saw that you were considering PX200. Last time I had them, it's so hard to get a proper seal so they always sounded a bit muffled with non-existent bass.

Would you consider EX71 style earbuds like the JBL 220 or the Vibes? I always found this type of earbud to be the most comfortable because they are light and doesn't go deep into your ear canal. They also provide some isolation. I have the JBL and after burn-in they sound pretty good for $55.

I always feel a bit awkward walking around with full-sized headphones
gs1000.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #12 of 15
Thanks!

I have the ATH-SJ5 on my list. I'll have to check out the HD555, AT A500, and the HP460.

Ear buds kill my ears within 5 minutes. I think the issue with discomfort comes from my ears which are very "stiff". My wife's ears are very soft and malleable and she can wear anything without discomfort... so she gets any of my uncomfortable "hand-me-downs"...

OK, so what if I come back to wifey and explain that I need to spend more money to get decent headphones. What would you suggest in the sub $250 range?

280smile.gif

Thanks,
-> Aro

Feb 21, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #13 of 15
under 100 is prob the grado line as best bang for buck, or the HD555, which are much darker, but much more comfortable.

For 250, your doors open alot...there are too many to list in that price range. Just read the boards here and see which ones you like. It really depends on your choice of music and how you want it presented to you. Do you want crisper bright highs? Thumping Bass? liquid mids? What type of music do you listen to, do you plan on getting a amp? Whats your source?

Before you go and blow 250$ on a headphone, make sure your source is decent and you have a amp if needed. I think most if not all headphones benifit from a amp. Doesnt mean they all require a amp (some do and some dont), but it sure helps narrowing down the choices of cans.

I would start at Headphile.com and check out the reviews on headphones in your range. I could recommend every headphone on the market, but it prob wont be your best choice for your music.

Feb 21, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #14 of 15
Thanks Highlife! I listen to mostly alternative and classic rock, but I have found that speakers/headphones that sound good for rock do NOT necessarily sound good for classical. But the converse has been true for me, if I can find a pair of headphones/speakers that can play classical well (I use Beethoven's 5th symphony, 2nd movement as a test. When the French horns come in about 30 secs into the movement... lesser speakers/headphones will sound like shrill crap) they sound good for rock. I learned this lesson 22 years ago and it's still true...

OK, let's add some additional constraints as the price goes up:

1) Must be portable. No full size headphones.

2) No amp. I want to be able to drive these with my iPod. Besides that an Amp will up the cost.

3) What about canal phones? I haven't seen many listed in the "comfy" range, but I'm open...

Thanks,
-> Aro

Feb 21, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #15 of 15
Oh, one more constraint. I wear glasses (can't wear contacts and laser surgery won't work. Dang astigmatism)... which I should have mentioned to begin with...

So that basically brings me back to in-ear models. Anyone find the Shure E4 comfy?

Thanks,
-> Aro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back