Comfortable Closed Headphones
Mar 31, 2015 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

nofuture

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm on the market for a new pair of headphones.
I already got a pair of DT880 PRO that I use at home sometimes but I mostly use my Focal speaker and I want a pair that I can take with me outside so it need to be closed and it need to work without an AMP.

The most important points are:

- Comfortable (Note : I wear glasses and my ears are < 6.5x3.5 cm)
- Closed
- Detachable/Replaceable TRS Cable
- Works without an AMP
- Sound (As close as possible to neutral if possible, but I want to high and the sub to be there, not a prominent bass / medium)

Optional points are :

- Solid Build
- Fold-able
- Comes with a case

When I say comfortable in the first place I really mean it, I know that a lot of people here says that the DT880/990 are really comfortable but to me this isn't as comfortable as I wish (I have some temporomandibular disorder)  while being more comfortable than almost every other Headphones I had the chance to try before I bought them.

When I saw the Audeze EL-8 Closed Headphones, I was like :
I want this, it looks like it's the perfect outdoor HiFi headphones.
But on the other side 700 $ for a pair that will ultimately end up broken at some point is a bit too much for me.
The other reasons why I won't go for these is the cable that can't be found everywhere and that will, surely, end-up broken pretty fast with outside use and the last but not the least is that these headphones are actually sold 899 CHF ( = 930 USD) in Switzerland which is definitely way too much for me (I'm a student...)

So well, I've looked at a lot of review on this website and I can't find the perfect fit between Comfort / ~ Neutrality while being closed and working without an amp.

My budget is around 400-500 $, I can go further if it's really a big step-up in comfort / sound but I would prefer to go with a medium quality pair of headphones because like I said, it's mostly for outdoor use.

Thanks, sorry for the English did my best...

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #2 of 5
Hmmm.. Comfortable for you - that's a tough one.  I would recommend the Sony MDR-7520 as it meets your other requirements.  But whether it would be comfortable for you is really hard to tell.

Good luck wth your search.

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #4 of 5
Yes the MDR-1A is a very comfortable headphone. For me the AKG K551 was even more comfortable and produced better sound, but even though it was advertised as a 'portable' version of the K550, it's still HUGE. It doesn't have a detachable cable either

Mar 31, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for you input I've look at the Sony MDR-1A review that I could find it seems nice, I have to find somewhere where I can try it.
Too bad the AKG551 doesn't have replaceable cable because generally they don't last more than 3-4 month with me so a deal breaker here, it seems really comfortable.

I've found one that can maybe fit almost all my need a part the neutrality and the TRS cable while still being removable and it's the Shure 1540. I'm reading / watching reviews right now, seems that it's the comfortable one.
Just don't understand why manufacturer keeps making the same #### by using other cables than TS/TRS for headphone but well, I guess I wouldn't be a good marketing agent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back