Comfortable Closed Cans on a Budget?
Sep 29, 2004 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations on the best pair of closed headphones for use at home and the office.

My priorities are the following:
1. Comfort (will be wearing these for a couple of hours at a time)
2. Sound quality
3. Easily driven (will be using unamped sources)
4. Cost (a $100 ~ $150 USD max budget)

Sources will be:
- Desktop computers (office having integrated, home having a GameTheater XP that has an external box for its connections)
- Rio Carbon

I listen to all kinds of music but mostly trance, lounge, rock, pop and some hip hop. (Examples of some favorites would be DJ Tiesto, Oakenfold, PVD, Tosca, Zero 7, Thievery Corporation, Groove Armada. I'm also starting to get into music in the vein of Jill Scott, Joss Stone, etc.) I don't know if it makes a difference, but I tend to listen to a lot of female vocals.

For reference, my current set of phones includes the Koss KSC-35s, Sennheiser MX-400s, and the Shure e2s. I use the e2s almost exclusively now and will continue to use them for travel. I'm looking for something that can provide a fuller, richer sound than what I'm currently getting from the e2s for when I'm not on the go. I want to feel like I'm immersed in the music.

From my research, it seems that the A500 and HD-280 Pros are most often recommended, but I would appreciate some more suggestions/opinions based on my intended use. Again, comfort is a big factor for me.

Thanks for any advice!

p.s. I've been a longtime lurker (circa 2001), but this is my first post. I want to thank the collective Head-Fi community for all the fantastic info you guys and gals provide. If it weren't for you folks, I'd probably still be stumbling around in the darkness using trash like the Sony street-styles and other similar junk!
biggrin.gif

Sep 29, 2004 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 18
You were right the first time, A500 will be ideal for you. 280s not so much because of their lack of bass.

You might also consider the Beyer DT770/80 if you want lots of bass, i'll have mine in a week or two, i'll add then to my closed can review after that. That review (link below) has A900/Senn 280 in it, if it helps.

Sep 29, 2004 at 5:12 AM Post #5 of 18
"Trance, lounge, pop and some hip hop" will sound amazing on your ATH-A500s.

I used to never listen to that crap, but after purchasing my ATH-A900s, it sounds so amazing...I can't resist! It's wonderful stuff; it really is...that trance stuff bouncing around in your head for hours.

You will get highs from the ATH-A500s that the E2cs simply can't produce. It will be a completely new experience for you.

The HD280s have some major flaws, namely poorly rendered highs and weak bass. They won't sound too good with the stuff you mentioned.

If the ATH-A500s/ATH-A900s have any weakness, it's their slow attack/sucked out mids...you won't encounter that problem with any of the genres you mentioned...except rock, if you listen to fast-paced rock.

Currently listening to: "Layla" by Eric Clapton on my ATH-A900s

Sep 29, 2004 at 5:14 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
If the ATH-A500s/ATH-A900s have any weakness, it's their slow attack/sucked out mids...you won't encounter that problem with any of the genres you mentioned...except rock, if you listen to fast-paced rock.

I haven't noticed any problems with the mids - they seem remarkable well ballanced to me. I don't listen to rock, and haven't noticed any problems with attack speed... but I have heard cans that were a little faster (CD3K/Senn 280).

Sep 29, 2004 at 5:23 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
I haven't noticed any problems with the mids - they seem remarkable well ballanced to me.

I personally disagree on the mids, too, I'm just saying what other people have said
icon10.gif

I like the way they project vocals...and I like bright cans. I think people get easily annoyed by how high the ATH-A500s/ATH-A900s can get, which is why they're so quick to dismiss the mids.

As for the slow attack, I've heard faster from the Grados/HD280...I can't remember if the other Sennheisers I tried were faster...I should compare my PX-100s and Porta Pros now...

I haven't found it to be a problem with anything except fast-paced rock, to be truthful (they can get quite bogged down with them). It's not a major concern.

Currently listening to: "White Room" by Eric Clapton on my ATH-A900s

Sep 29, 2004 at 5:49 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
You were right the first time, A500 will be ideal for you. 280s not so much because of their lack of bass.

You might also consider the Beyer DT770/80 if you want lots of bass, i'll have mine in a week or two, i'll add then to my closed can review after that. That review (link below) has A900/Senn 280 in it, if it helps.

Ya know, I was just planning earlier today to drop you a PM and ask if you'd heard the 770/80s and how they compared. Good to hear.

Sep 29, 2004 at 9:35 AM Post #10 of 18
HD280 aren't comfortable by my opinion...
I've had them and I can't stand them on my head more then 2hours... Clamping force is high and the headphones itself are very robust and quite heavy. Plus they need to be driven with powerful amp...
I have the HD580 now, and find them most comfortable headphones i tried. I can wear them all day, that means easy 10hours and more with no harms
580smile.gif

Sep 29, 2004 at 11:16 AM Post #11 of 18
After i got rid of my HD280s i started to wonder about the clamp. When you push on the headphones so they move closer to the ears they seem to faten up. I wonder if these cans were thin and they tried to use a heavy clamp to try and faten up the bottom with gobs of pressure? I gave up on em

Sep 29, 2004 at 12:30 PM Post #12 of 18
Ah, you guys do such a good job of convincing! My wallet hates it!
tongue.gif

What do you guys mean when you talk about how the A500s have a "slow attack" and that some other cans are "faster?" Not being an audiophile, I'm not familiar with those terms.

Also, do you know how much the A500s sell for locally in Japan? I might be able to ask a friend or two there to see if they can pick it up locally and ship them to me if the prices there are substantially better than I'm getting from AudioCubes ($116 shipped here to NYC).

Sep 29, 2004 at 12:56 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by karma
Also, do you know how much the A500s sell for locally in Japan? I might be able to ask a friend or two there to see if they can pick it up locally and ship them to me if the prices there are substantially better than I'm getting from AudioCubes ($116 shipped here to NYC).

This site gives the cheapest price as ¥8,190 (US$73.91). No ideas about shipping, etc. Maybe you can liaise with them if you read Japanese.

Attack is described here (paragraph 4): http://www.hammersound.net/sd_comput...c/shaping.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back