Comfortable Bass Heavy Headphones-Under $100
Jul 8, 2009 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

jstalz

100+ Head-Fier
Hello fellow Head-fiers

I am looking to purchase a pair of very comfortable circum-aural headphones that should be a bit heavy on the bass side. I listen to headphones for hours at a time so comfort is a big concern for me.

I have looked at the Jays c-Jays, and I am leaning towards those due to their lightweight characteristics and emphasis on low-end.

I will be using these headphones unamped.

Any suggestions appreciated.

-JStalz

Jul 9, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is your budget for buying these headphones?

What sound card or other equipment will you be plugging these headphones into?

I would like to keep the price of these headphones under $100.

I will be plugging these headphones directly into my MacBook Pro/iPod playing mostly 320kbps music.

Jul 9, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #9 of 30
FWIR...

The M-Audio Q40 is circumaural, bassy, comfy, and works well without an amp, a good choice if your head is not wider / bigger.

Most probably would not find the M50 as comfy as the Q40.

The D1001 and CAL! are circumaural if your ears are not too big. My CAL! barely encloses my ears. It sounds pretty good, but was fairly mediocre before modification. And so I don't recommend the CAL! unless modding it. Some have re-cabled it and reported a greatly improved sound. I suspect a stock D1001 sounds better than a stock CAL! to most.

The RX700 is another you may want to consider, and for only ~$34 shipped.

What kind of music do you listen to?

Or better, what type of sound do you want from your headphones other than "bassy"?

Edit: Ultrasones are not known for their comfort.

Jul 9, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D1001.

As much as I have heard great things about the Denon D1001s I do not want to purchase them due to their on-ear design.

Jul 9, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jstalz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As much as I have heard great things about the Denon D1001s I do not want to purchase them due to their on-ear design.

The D1001 probably fits around the ears for most, but it is small. The RX700 is much bigger, and FWIR has a less refined but bigger and more fun sound. You would want to modify it by removing the felt covering the driver, which is simple to do. You also would want to adjust its gripping tension by bending the over head metal bar.

Jul 9, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #15 of 30
Although this might take it a tad over $100, the Q40 + Beyer DT770 velour pads would be the ultimate in comfort. I haven't read on the specific thread how much it changes the sound. Also, another one you could consider is the Sony V6/7506 (~$70) and get DT250 velour pads for it--although they are more neutral than the previous mentioned ones, they have a nice punch if it's in the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back