Comfortable, balanced open headphones for no more than $350.
Jul 4, 2020 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

rhz

New Head-Fier
I'm interested in upgrading my headphones. As explained below, I currently own Grado SR60s, which I've enjoyed for years. I tried the Grado GH3 and, while more detailed and better bass, I found them to be harsh, bright, and just unenjoyable. The guide on reddit's headphone page recommends the Sennheiser 600 and the 650. There's quite a debate between those two models. Not sure where I'd fall on this. The 650s seem to have more bass--I would not want something boomy or thumpy.

I will add that comfort is very important to me. I'd like to find something I can wear for hours on end. I've read that both these can be tight, which would be a concern. Wonder if they stretch over time....

Budget - < $350 (strict)
Source - Various laptops, Topping VX1 (hoping to buy higher quality amp)
Requirements for Isolation - none
Preferred Type of Headphone - probably open
Preferred tonal balance - overall balanced
Past headphones - Grado SR 60. Love the comfort.
Preferred Music - jazz, rock, blues, acoustic music, vocalists
What would you like to improve on from your set-up - Looking for a little bit more and well-defined bass, overall detail, presence and engagement

Jul 4, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #2 of 4
Hey,

Have you considered the Shure SE535?

Jul 4, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 4
HiFiMan Sundara. I prefer it to most $1,000+ headphones, it's insanely good for the price and very well rounded. It has a fairly laid back presentation but doesn't really skimp on detail or speed. It's as light as a feather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back