Comfort>soundquality
Jun 3, 2005 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

thrive

Head-Fier
I wear my senn HD-280 pros for quite an extended amount of time everyday and they seem to squeeze my head and hurt my ears. I tried streching them over books and stuff but they still hurt. Is there any way of reducing how much they push on my ears?
basshead.gif

Jun 4, 2005 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 15
I've seen people open up the headband and bend the steel headband out at the midpoint (they very tip of the headband in the middle). Spreading them on a basketball or over books doesn't work too well because of the springy nature of steel (especially if its a special spring steel headband). Bend it at the middle with pliers until the earcups are an inch or two away instead of cupping each other. Or however much is comfortable for you.

Jun 4, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrive
I wear my senn HD-280 pros for quite an extended amount of time everyday and they seem to squeeze my head and hurt my ears. I tried streching them over books and stuff but they still hurt. Is there any way of reducing how much they push on my ears?
basshead.gif

My HD280 pros were tight but I fixed that by stretching them on the widest box I could fit them on for 4 days while I burned them in. I suggest letting them stretch longer at about as wide as you can get them.

Jun 4, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 15
The key to "stretching" any springy metalic thing like say a metal spring or a metal band is forcing the metal to bend enough for long enough for it to change its molecular structure, but not enough for a break in the matrix of the molocules. There isn't a heck of a lot of detail to the concept, but the key is that you must stress the metal enough for it to not automaticly return to its original shape, like most distortions in metal do, but also to stretch it softly enough that you don't permenently damage the structure of the metal.

Jun 4, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

I also heard the 280 pros sometimes crack at the headband so streching them might break them?

This happens often, it is a known sore spot of the HD280 Pro, it breaks a lot.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 4, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by PTheD
stretch it softly enough that you don't permenently damage the structure of the metal.

Which I might add, is very difficult to do to steel. Damage it that is. You could bend it back and forth for the rest of your life and it would probably be fine. Well...maybe not that much...but you get the idea.

Jun 4, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon
Which I might add, is very difficult to do to steel. Damage it that is. You could bend it back and forth for the rest of your life and it would probably be fine. Well...maybe not that much...but you get the idea.

That is a good point. I don't know much about the propertys of steel, but if it is very malable then bending it like happens with fork & spoon necks often would not make it break easily. With impliments such as forks and spoons the constant bending back and forth can harden the structure of the metal and cause it to be britle and break, but that is after a good amount of bending and rebending has taken place. Its probably the plastic that is going to break then huh?

Then there is thrive who is saying that the HD280 Pro doesn't have any metal in it at all, but rather that the headband is made of a "rubbery material" ahhh, the confusion the confusion.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 5, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

I opened the headband and discovered a casing of soft foam plasic and inside that was a even softer cushiony foam. So I'm pretty sure there is no metal in it at all.

And now the confusion is over, thank you thrive.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2005 at 8:27 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

I opened the headband and discovered a casing of soft foam plasic and inside that was a even softer cushiony foam. So I'm pretty sure there is no metal in it at all.

not sure if were talking about the same thing... but there is indeed metal in the headband. the very top is just plastic i believe (where the cushion wraps around). but the two "arms" (the parts that adjust), have metal. i took mine apart and stretched both sides with some pliers. i tried stretching them over some books for days (to the point i hoped they would crack) - but that didnt do squat.

theres some pics in this thread:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...0&page=1&pp=20

Users who are viewing this thread

Back