Comfort over sound, what pair of headphones should I get?
Mar 6, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #16 of 34
Note that while the Denon AH-D2000 are not uncomfortable, they have tilted pads, so you have to wear the headphones slightly tilted forward. It's kinda awkward at first. They're also somewhat heavy, and have little clamp, which might or might not be a good thing for you. The Denon AH-D1100 however, are literally twice as light and tight (you can bob your head to the music as violently as you want, they won't move one iota).

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #19 of 34
Mar 6, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #22 of 34
Pretty much anything from the Sennheiser HD 5xx line. Ive had the HD 555 and now the HD 518. I could wear the former and now the latter indefinitely while watching movies.

Im gonna go out in a limb and recommend not getting studio or dj headphones. They are made for isolation, accuracy and durability, not for comfort.

Stick to consumer-oriented "audiophile" or "hi-fi" headphones.

Mar 6, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #23 of 34
One pair of headphones that hasn't been recommended yet (though I'm sure these other big name audiophile brands others have recommended may be better) are the Incase Sonic's and if you don't mind the look of these as I have seen online that some people do then you should definitely consider them . . . they are extremely comfortable, stable, and I *think* they have good sound quality. They are touted as having natural sound quality though that may just be marketing bs. The only downsides to these headphones are looks (for some) and a lack of isolation.

Mar 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #24 of 34
Here are some pics:

http://goincase.com/products/images/EC30001/detail/sonicblack3.jpg

http://goincase.com/products/images/EC30003/detail/AshOrange03.jpg

http://goincase.com/products/images/EC30002/detail/PrimerBlue03.jpg

I own the grey ones with blue on the inside of the earcups.

Mar 6, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #25 of 34
I will refer you to this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/588289/incase-sonic . . . I just skimmed through the thread but it seems like nobody really had anything bad to say about the cans.

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #26 of 34
It's really hard to be certain that you'll find a pair of HPs comfortable because someone else does, but of the ones ones I own, the most immediately comfortable are the Denon AHD2000s, but they do get uncomfortable after a couple of hours, or less if it's warm - my ears start itching and I just want to get them off. The Senn HD595s are uncomfortable when I first wear them, especially if I haven't used them for a while (the headband presses on the top of my head), but once I'm used to them after a few minutes they can be worn for hours without any bother. Also have a pair of 650s and quite a large head, so they were very uncomfortable for a long time because of the clamping force. They are better now after several attempts at bending the metal part of the headband. Sometimes I can wear them comfortably, other days I have to take them off after a few minutes.

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #27 of 34
I found the Audio Technica AD700 to be very comfortable. I read quite a few reviews before buying them that compared them to "pillows on your ears" and after listening to them for a few hours, I would have to agree.

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #28 of 34
For comfort over sound quality, I would recommend the Bose AE2.  Most would agree here the sound will not blow you away, but I find it acceptable and it has grown on me over time.  The comfort however is superior.  They provide some passive isolation as well.  I have not seen or tried a full circumaural that comes close for comfort and lightness on your head.  They run about $150 USD when not on sale and in the US, both Best Buy and Target typically have them available to demo.

Mar 6, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #29 of 34

Quote:
For comfort over sound quality, I would recommend the Bose AE2.  Most would agree here the sound will not blow you away, but I find it acceptable and it has grown on me over time.  The comfort however is superior.  They provide some passive isolation as well.  I have not seen or tried a full circumaural that comes close for comfort and lightness on your head.  They run about $150 USD when not on sale and in the US, both Best Buy and Target typically have them available to demo.

I had these and found they would become uncomfortable for me because their headband was narrow and would concentrate too much pressure in too little of a space. This was exacerbated by their lack of clamping force which would have reduced how much of their weight would've been concentrated on the top of my head.

They were otherwise light and portable. They were great with PMP's as they had a 4' cable and a 3.5mm jack.

I concur that the sound was OK but definitely not impressive. I returned mine for that reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back