Comfort of aftermarket HD 580/600 cables
Oct 29, 2002 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Bobby C

Head-Fier
I've read through many posts regarding the sound characteristics of various Senns HD 580/600 cables (Clou, Equinox & Cardas), what are peoples opinions of the comfort factor of them? While it is agreed that the stock cable leaves much to be desired in terms of sonic qualities, my concern is that an aftermarket cable, being heavier or stiffer, may actually affect the comfort of the phones. This could be by additional weight, more rigidity when turning your head, etc. I recall a review where a person reported the weight was noticable & that it led to more discomfort. Any thoughts on the different cables?

Oct 29, 2002 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 7
with the cardas, there is a difference but it is not grossly discomforting. the cable is very bendable and easy to move around with, plus it's a full 10' (or 20' if you want that), giving you plenty of space to move around.

the clou red is pretty bad. very very stiff and tough to move around with. i was pretty happy with my clou red's sound for a long time, then i went to the world of headphones tour. after seeing how easily bendable the cardas cables were, i went home and ordered them immediately. the sound was better too, but what really motivated me was the physicalities of the cable.

hope i helped.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2002 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 7
One of the main reasons that I ended up constructing my own cable was the stiffness of the aftermarket cables that I tried. Not only did they transfer loads to the cans, creating comfort issues, but some or all of the load was transfered through the pin connectors in the cans. That means that the cable will never wear out, but the pins and related structure inside the phones will. Not a good solution in my mind, but I am rather picky about such things. I kept part of the original cable as a "leader" and added a collar clip at the transition to the heavier cable. The leader is very flexible, and does not impose any mechanical loads on the cans. This eliminated all of my mechanical complaints. Not sure if any manufacturers are doing that trick yet. The only remaining issue is the tendency of the clip to roll up my shirt if I meander around the room much. It's always something.

gerG

Oct 29, 2002 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 7
I have the clou blues, and although the sound is awesome, they are very stiff. I'm sure they will become more flexable as time goes on, but I can't lay down on the floor with them.

Oct 30, 2002 at 9:25 AM Post #5 of 7
I have the Cardas cable, and it is very flexible. I'd compare it to be abotu the same flexibility as a typical 2-conductor power cable that you might find on a lamp, or a CD player. The cable doesn't create any uncomfortable pulling on the headphones as long as I allow the excess cable length to rest on the floor. It is also beautifully constructed. The construction of the Cardas compared to the stock cable is worth the $150 alone. My stock cable was always getting snagged under my chair, tripped over, the mini to 1/4" adapter was weak and wore out from unplugging the headphones. The Cardas cable is a very substantial, robust cable but not heavy or inflexible.

Oct 30, 2002 at 11:57 PM Post #6 of 7
have to agree about the cardas cable, I have found no issues with the cable at all, it may be a problem however if you're doing alot of moving around with the headphones on, but in my situation all my listening is done while sitting down...

Nov 4, 2002 at 1:28 AM Post #7 of 7
The Equinox are the lightest of the three (but I get a bit nervous about them -- I would actually prefer more solid construction), the Cardas the least microphonic of the three.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back