Comfort & Isolation over SQ
Dec 3, 2006 at 1:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

billybob_jcv

Headphoneus Supremus
I commute on a train for 3 hours per day. I currently have an ipod mini and Creative EP-630. I'm using the tips from a pair of Koss Spark Plugs on the EP-630. Although I enjoy good music, I would estimate my music listening at only ~20% - the other 80% is listening to audio books. The audio books are typically very poor quality - low bit rate, high compression, sometimes even recordings from cassette tapes. The Ep-630 are comfortable, and sound OK, but the isolation is not as good as I would like. Between the train noise, the obnoxiously loud cell phone users, and the groups of teens riding the train, I NEED maximum isolation!

So, for my application, I would list my priorities in this order:
1) Comfort
2) Isolation
3) Sound Quality

I have a refurb 30GB ipod video on the way, and I would like to budget ~$125 for new 'phones.

I've been looking at the usual suspects from Shure, Ety, UE, Vibe & Westone - what do you think?
3000smile.gif

Dec 3, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 7
The UM1s are supposed to be very comfortable, with non-fatiguing sound. I can personally attest to the excellent isolation of Etymotics ER6i's, but they're more of an acquired taste ... although you at least are used to the Creatives (which I also have), so you won't shy away from any in-ears with the objection, "I don't like the idea of putting anything in my ears."

I doubt that any IEM would isolate as well as the Ety's (I use Comply foams, although the flanges work well for some people), and I doubt that the Vibes could physically provide any more isolation than your Creatives do (but it would be interesting to hear from people who have used the Vibes and other canal phones ... I haven't used the Vibes, so we would need a user's opinion on that).

Then there's the sacrilege of mentioning the $300 Bose QC2 headphones, which provide comfort, isolation of some ranges of sound, and much-derided (on Head-Fi) sound quality ...

Dec 3, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #5 of 7
How about the superfi 3s? Like you I commute to and from work and my listening staple ranges from audiobooks to J-pop music. Originally, I owned a sony nude ex71 which is in my opinion quite similar to the ep630. It took me about 2-3 weeks before I adapted to the superfi 3s and got a good seal. Even though they might stick out of your ears without the mod, they provide decent isolation at an attractive price point. Soundwise, I thought they were leagues ahead of my old ex71. I tried the UM1 too but I didn't like the design - braided cables and hearing aid-like tips. At least for the Superfi's the cables are replaceable and look sleeker.

Dec 3, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #6 of 7
An IEM type with foam tips would would probably give you the best. For the money, the best isolation you can get will probably be the ExtremeMac FS1, but you really need to use the foam tips. As a bonus, you get a IEM that's also highly recommended for its sound quality, especially its bass response.

Dec 3, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #7 of 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back