comfort: IE8 vs. Westone 3
Feb 22, 2009 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

joincoolkidclub

100+ Head-Fier
I know this has been discussed to varying degrees in individual threads but I was hoping owners/auditioners of both IEM's could comment on wearability over long periods.
I know that the sibilance problems some had with the Westones could make for less overall comfort (although this could possibly be solved with tip selection) and the IE8 doesn't seal as well (yet another issue).
Comments please??

Feb 22, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #2 of 14
due to W3's rounded design i find it more comfortable over Boxy shaped IE8.

Feb 22, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #3 of 14
Well it really does depend on how your outer ears suit the housing of the IE8's. My ears barely even touch the housing of the IE8 and find them pretty comfortable. Haven't auditioned the W3's though, so can't exactly comment.

Feb 23, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 14
Same here, never tried the W3 so i won't vote, but there are four ways to wear the IE8, and i can wear them for hours.

Feb 23, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #7 of 14
I've had both and voted for the IE8. I could always 'feel' the W3 in my ears, but the IE8's just melt away.

Feb 23, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #8 of 14
Depends on your ear canal and outer ear's size/shape. For me personally the IE8 didn't fit very well at all - it either constantly kept on falling out when I used the included single flange silicone tips, or irritated my ear canals too much when I used the included double flanges or foamies. Now, I am not sure about Westone 3s yet, but I'll be getting them today and I'll let you know how they'll feel in my ears (hopefully they'll fit me better than the IE8s). However, as I said, comfort with IEMs is very subjective as everyone's ear shape is different.

Oh, BTW, the title of the poll is wrong - it should say "Which IEM do you find more comfortable?"

Feb 23, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #10 of 14
Pianist- your point about the title is fair.
To everyone else: thanks for responding. The reason I started this thread is because I saw no comparison elsewhere and was curious.
Are the four ways to wear them: over the ears, down/over the ears (reversed), down (reversed)?
Thanks again,
NICK

Feb 24, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had both and voted for the IE8. I could always 'feel' the W3 in my ears, but the IE8's just melt away.

thats due to soundstage i think.

Feb 24, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #13 of 14
Ok, I received my Westone 3s yesterday and apart from having amazing SQ IMO, I also find them to be very comfy - definitely more so than IE8 for me. I think that W3s are actually the first IEM I might be able to wear while sleeping.
smile.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #14 of 14
I also vote for the IE8, having had the W3's as well. I guess the boxy shape doesn't affect me, with my cavernous ears and all! Ha ha. For me they'll be a great 'phone to fall asleep with, when I'm on my trips to Asia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back