comfort battle - k501 vs hd600 vs dt880 ?
Apr 11, 2005 at 10:05 AM Post #16 of 36
You're not considering the Sennheiser HD590's at all? They might not be in the same class as the others you mention but I find them to be much more comfortable than the Beyer 880's. They are extremely light and fluffy with barely any clamping force.
(Please note, I am basing this on the HD570 which I have and should have the same design and characteristics as the HD590 which have better sound....) Just a thought.

Apr 11, 2005 at 10:54 AM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
The HD600/650 are first by a wide margin. The oval shape makes them very stable, so they do not rotate if I look down at the keyboard then back at the screen. I also appreciate the fact that Sen figured out how to carry all loads through a single band. Very compact, and I can wear them all day. The oval design also works better with glasses, at least on my head.

I wear glasses, and have had problems with HD580/600s. The pressure is an issue, but I also get a squeaking sound that I finally tracked down to the back of the ear clips on the glasses rubbing against the insides of the soft pads. The problem is still not solved, and is annoying enough to keep me from listening to the 580s as often as I would like (if I wasn't a big fan of their sound I'd get rid of them).

The earpads also press against my jaw in a bad spot, and the cups are big enough the cans get pushed around on my head if I try to lie down. Overall I'd call the 580/600's uncomfortable, but I'm probably in a small minority.

Apr 11, 2005 at 1:22 PM Post #18 of 36
I don't have the dt880's but I do have the k501's and hd600's. I prefer the k501 for comfort because I have big ears. The holes are large enough to fit my entire ear inside the headphone with additional room. The hd600's do fit as well, but my ears are quite jammed in, thus allowing for the generation of more heat compared to k501's.

Apr 11, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #19 of 36
It's been a while since I've had the HD 600s, so I'll leave them out of the comparison.

I would have to rank the K501s as slightly more comfortable (I have the straight cable DT 880s) - less weight and less clamping force. But, have not yet had a problem with DT 880s cord coiling and tangling due to excessive humidity in my house (had the DT 880s for almost 2 weeks) - this has happened to every headphone I've had by this time. The DT 880s cord is the thickest headphone cord I've ever had, yet still is very flexible. The DT 880s have softer pads, but the K501s pads are plenty comfortable to me. Have not had a problem with sweaty or itchy pads with either, nor with any phone for that matter.

Apr 11, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #20 of 36
pick on sound not comfort

they are all pretty comfortable. I found 501 to be best b/c they are light and have no clamp force once I found that magic spot.

Apr 11, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #21 of 36
Mine would go like this:

1. 650 - Interestingly, I think the Senns feel the way they sound: rich, luxurious and comforting. There's some minor clamping pressure, but it feels so ...loving! Also, I notice that over the course of an hour or two I become almost totally unaware that I have anything on my head at all.

2. 880 - I like gerG's comparison to bluejeans! Very light and soft, but minor reservations about the headband (no hair here) and depth of the earcups...my ears touch the fabric that covers the drivers.

3. 501 - Maybe you get what you pay for. In this case (sonically as well as ergonomically) you get WAY more than you pay for! I get the lightness and lack of clamping that the Beyer offers, but none of the Beyer's soft cuddliness. Also, as a glasses-wearer, I've noticed that the earcup cushions make a squeaking noise when they rub agains the temples of my glasses!?!?!

Making that last comment reminds me: anyone with glasses is at a significant disadvantage when it comes to having your headphone options narrowed. It's worth specifically mentioning that all three of these models are glasses-friendly from a comfort perspective. I can't claim to enjoy the noise I get with my 501s, but maybe it has to do with the material my glasses are made of???

Dane

Apr 11, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
pick on sound not comfort

they are all pretty comfortable. I found 501 to be best b/c they are light and have no clamp force once I found that magic spot.

i was really hoping on a clear "winner" though - as far as comfort was concerned. doesnt seem like there is one. im still leaning towards the dt880, with the k501 right behind. but my thought was that if any one can stood above the others, i could easily just choose that one (considering that i havent actually heard any of these and would taking a leap with any of them).

Apr 11, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #23 of 36
i've had the 580 and 600. when considering the K501 (which i got and won't ever let go of), i had figured that round cups would be inferior to the elliptical ones Senn uses. well, i figured wrong.

the cans are more goofy looking than the Senns (another thing i didn't think possible), but for lying down listening (mostly how i do), the K501s turn out to be better. the reason: because they're round, you can rotate the headband as much as needed to keep the drivers where you want them and the headband out of the pillow, or whatever. you really can't do that with Senns. now, if one has elephant ears, may be the Senns will fit better. for all others, the AKG.

they do sound better, too.

Apr 12, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by eight08
i was really hoping on a clear "winner" though - as far as comfort was concerned. doesnt seem like there is one. im still leaning towards the dt880, with the k501 right behind. but my thought was that if any one can stood above the others, i could easily just choose that one (considering that i havent actually heard any of these and would taking a leap with any of them).

I would say that comfort is as important a fctor as the sound, One of the reasons I gave up on Grados/Alessandros was my long listening sessions. After a particularly lengthy one, I noticed that the left ear was throbbing and the little boe on the outside hrt really bad, the pain didn't subside, went to a doctor and he said that there seemed to be stress damage to the cartilage from something pressing on it for long periods of time, I stopped with the grados that day itself. THe good thing though was that the K501's were there or I might as well have torn my hair out in frustration.

Apr 12, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #25 of 36
I own the HD600 and for the first few weeks and as you've probably read before, they clamped too hard but later loosened up quite nicely (with some book-stretching). However, those first few weeks were really uncomfortable.

They're fitting snugly now but another issue which has been present right from the start is that due to the size of its pads, it extends over some of my jaw muscles and causes them to ache very uncomfortably. However, this only happens 25% of the time. I listen to some other headphone when this happens.

I realise my jaw only aches when my jaw muscles are pumped up like after dinner or after watching a comedy where I'll laugh a lot. If you don't have a prominent jaw then you shouldn't feel the aches I feel sometimes.

Apr 12, 2005 at 5:29 AM Post #26 of 36
so as i understand it...

k501:
+ultralight
+pads remain very cool
+no cable issues (not heavy, etc.)
+very minimal clamping
+fits bigger ears (circular design, deeper cups)
+single sided cable
---
-pad material not suited for everyone
-although very comfortable, they may not be as "cozy" as others

dt880:
+very soft velour pads
+marginal clamp force (less than 580/600, though more than k501)
+single sided cable
+comfortable as well as "cozy" (the well-worn blue jean refrence)
---
-heavier coiled cable
-pads can retain heat

hd580/600:
+very soft velour pads
+lighter cables
+can fit some headshapes like a glove
---
-heavier clamping force
-dual sided cable
-pads can retain heat
-seems to fit smaller headshapes better

does that seem fairly true? if yes, i think (for my situation) either the k501 or dt800 would be able to handle my environment and length of use. im a little weary of some claims of the hd600 clamp force.

Apr 12, 2005 at 12:11 PM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by eight08
so as i understand it...

k501:
+ultralight
+pads remain very cool
+no cable issues (not heavy, etc.)
+very minimal clamping
+fits bigger ears (circular design, deeper cups)
+single sided cable
---
-pad material not suited for everyone
-although very comfortable, they may not be as "cozy" as others

dt880:
+very soft velour pads
+marginal clamp force (less than 580/600, though more than k501)
+single sided cable
+comfortable as well as "cozy" (the well-worn blue jean refrence)
---
-heavier coiled cable
-pads can retain heat

hd580/600:
+very soft velour pads
+lighter cables
+can fit some headshapes like a glove
---
-heavier clamping force
-dual sided cable
-pads can retain heat
-seems to fit smaller headshapes better

does that seem fairly true? if yes, i think (for my situation) either the k501 or dt800 would be able to handle my environment and length of use. im a little weary of some claims of the hd600 clamp force.

Those seem to be pretty accurate.
The reason for the clamping is also due to some people having smaller jawbones. Similar clamping issues although minor for me.
I think all of them are pretty good compared to what I ended up with the Grados

Apr 12, 2005 at 12:45 PM Post #29 of 36
One little specification: the pads of the HD650 don't really 'retain heat' in a significant way ... I can tell because that's something that really teases me so I'm really sensitive to it.

Apr 12, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #30 of 36
Just a correction ...

1) Both the Senn HD600 pads
and Senn HD600 headband
RETAIN HEAT,
unlike the Akg K501, that stay very cool.

It can be felt in the ears, in the head where the headband touches,
and after taken away the heat can be felt with the fingers,
in the pads and headband.

In summer or in hot environments, Senn HD600 is too hot,
to use for long (depending on personal tolerance).

2) Since the pads of the Senn HD600 are oval shaped
there is less space to tweak its position.

Unlike the Beyer Dt880 or Akg K501
wich you can use it or both sides with no problem,
and choose what side you want the cable,
with the Senn HD600 rigth is rigth, left is left,
if you put it 180º it does not match your ears shape.

3) Sound quality should be taken is consideration,
and in that department the Beyer Dt880 wins
both over the Senn HD600 and Akg K501 (for general use),
as is a more balanced headphone than the Akg k501,
and a improvement over some H600 minor faults.

4g5dg3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back