Comfort#1 <200$
Dec 21, 2004 at 6:14 AM Post #16 of 37
The 590s are extremely comfortable and light, I can wear this can for hours without ever readjusting it. Its an open phone so you dont have to take your cans off in other to talk to others in the room. Maybe you can do better with other cans but if comfort is your number 1 issue, the 590s should be mentioned.

Dec 21, 2004 at 6:35 AM Post #17 of 37
Second the 590 recommendation. They're really, really comfy and light, and do not get tiresome at all with long listening sessions as some of the leather-padded headphones can. Also, they're ideal for trance, with strong, punchy bass and detailed treble. They won't work as well with pop, but if you're listening to them off a radio, then it frankly doesn't matter much what you listen with, since a radio isn't exactly a hi-fi source.

Alternatively, consider the Beyer DT 770/80. They're heavy, but the pads are nice and fluffy, and they'll be fairly comfy too (though not as nice as the 590). They're built like tanks, and are also very good for trance, assuming you don't have a problem with sharp, piercing treble, which unfortunately these also have. They're considered by many to be the bassiest cans out there (except the mighty PS-1, but that's in a wholly different price range
rs1smile.gif
).

[Edit: where did I get the whole "radio" deal? see cat, too much studying is bad for you
redface.gif
]

Dec 21, 2004 at 10:28 AM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talonz
If comfort is the absolute determining factor, look into the Sony MDR-F1.

There's nothing more comfortable than the Sony F1. At least, I hardly recall anybody who has ever owned the F1 and preferred a different headphone for comfort. The Sony CD 780 comes really close, they are like ear-pillows. The Sennheiser HD 590 is also very comfortable. I have not tried the Sony R10 or Stax Omegas which are very expensive but supposedly very comfortable, too.
The downside is that both Sonys don't excel in sound quality and the HD 590 has been replaced by the new HD 595. Nevertheless, if you only worry about comfort, these three are the way to go and they don't sound too bad either. For what it's worth, I've been trying to hunt down a fairly-priced Sony F1 for a long time because these were simply the most comfortable headphones I have ever had the privilege to wear. Great for listening to music while working.

For good sound quality and comfort at a decent price, you could look into the Sennheiser HD 580 or HD 555. For a step up in the price-line, the Beyerdynamic DT 880 is probably even more comfortable, at least for me they were, and can be had for under $200 used. The AKG 501 is also very comfortable but from my limited experience with them not as much as the Beyer 880. Compared to the Sony F1, I would rate all of these headphone superior to the Sony F1 in terms of sound quality.

Dec 21, 2004 at 10:37 AM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
DT531s don't work well without an amp. DT440s would be a better choice for his ampless usage. >.>;

amp or no amp, the brightness is gonna be uncomfortable.

Dec 21, 2004 at 4:28 PM Post #20 of 37
Sorry for nitpicking, but the AKG are Austrian not Australian, and availability is not an issue in the US. The are very comfortable, but the pads are pleather and you will begin to sweat.
I ahve never tried a pair af headphones that do not heat up you ears, but I think that the Sony F1 that are mentioned are the best comfort wise, because of their very very open design were the drivers are almost floating next to your ears.

The Sony CD780 are not as comfortable as they look, or initially feel, mostly because of the headband that after a few hours gives scalp burn, it mainly caused by the plastic/rubber headband that has two folds (dunno why they designed them like this) that will irritate your head. Your ears will heat up too, and you have to take them of for a few minutes every now and then.

I have too read that the DT440s headband is not very comfortable.

I would suggest that you read through the thread about the most comfortable headphones to get a good idea of what people are suggesting.

Dec 21, 2004 at 4:59 PM Post #21 of 37
From what you have said it seems that the HD 580's are the best thing going. They have proven quality, with many reviews on this forum alone. They are open, so great for hearing people talk if needed (I use them for LAN parties), and they are very upgradable with a very very high ceiling. And amp will help a LOT, but if you just want "good" quality they will probably beat your old sonys right out of the box.

Mark

Dec 23, 2004 at 7:55 PM Post #22 of 37
I purchased the Sony MDR-F1's from ebay for 170$+shipping, just got them.

At work now and the soundcard in this computer is horrid(cant even adjust bass in windows that effects it althou windapms EQ helps a little) but cant expect good sounds out of a built in soundcard on a 50$ motherboard.

But they feel perfect, once the headband looses a little tension wont feel anything.

The sound leak is huge you can almost use them as speakers but thats fine by me.

I was going to buy the HD590's as I liked how they looked and they supposedly have great sound but ebay+paypal wouldnt let me for whatever reason so bought the MDR-F1's. Will prolly pickup the HD590's in a while for either me or the fiance.

After reading these boards I feel I definatley need to start researching a good amp that will work for the computer so any suggestions on that are much appreciated, I figure most computer analog jacks are pretty screwy but my comp at home has a digital connection, but not sure if that will be better since my understanding of sound is that analog>digital so dunno.

THANK YOU for all your input it helped alot.

Jan 3, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #23 of 37
I have a pair of Sony MDR-7506's that I love and use for almost everything. The problem is my ears stick out just a bit, and after wearing these phones for more than a few hours, my ears really start to hurt from being pressed inward.

Can anyone recommend a pair of high quality headphones that will work for my specific problem?

Jan 3, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #24 of 37
>After reading these boards I feel I definatley need to start researching a good amp that will work for the computer

The problem is more that the converters in most computers totally blow, mostly due to the incredible amount of electrical noise inside a computer.

Maybe an Maudio Fast Track would do the trick? I have no idea of the quality, but Maudio is generally pro-sumer level stuff in the recording world. Certainly worlds better than a computer sound card, but probably not an audiophile level solution.

Jan 3, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #25 of 37
Feclar... Where did you get F1s for $170? Cheapest I can find is ~$200. On Ebay they are $200++ ? Enjoy them IMHO they have great imaging, huge soundstage and pretty flat freq response. IMHO one of sonys more neutral sounding cans compared to V600, V700, V900.

Likelukeluke... My MDRV6 is the same way. it crushes my ears outer cartilage and after an hour its VERY painful. I added a thick black felt doughnut under the stock pad. It helps to lift the can up off the ears and relieve pressure. I can now wear them all day.

Jul 19, 2005 at 6:53 AM Post #27 of 37
Well the MDR-F1's have been working great only problem i have with them is when it gets to around 95degrees the headband starts to sweat but the ears stay nice and cool overall they were great, i have blown them thou, with so many hours of use (10+/day i figure), lasted 8 months or so, bass just sounds all weird on them now.

Looking at some in ear ones now wondering if any are as comfertable as these F1's as I plan to pickup some portable mp3 device so computer/portable useage mostly would be nice to use 1 set for everything.

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:34 PM Post #29 of 37
In terms of comfort, ability to hear other people and sound quality I can strongly recommend AKG K501. They have really DEEP cans so even my relatively large ears fit prefectly within. They also do fall within the price range.

The pros are that they really want an amp to sound to their fullest potential. They also are somewhat light on the bass side (especially without an amp), so if you're a "basshead", not really your choice.

But in terms of comfort these are really OUTSTANDING phones. I only take them off because they're uncomfortable to sleep in
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back