Come to the aid of a new iPhone 3GS user!
Aug 7, 2009 at 8:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Ultrazino

Now known as HuoYuanJia
I don't have it yet. I'm currently still using a Cowon D2+ 16GB, but I'm offered either an iPhone 3GS 16GB for 450 € or 32GB for 600€ (brought over from USA). Either way, I'm going to have to pick one as my current phone is already on eBay!
biggrin.gif

I currently only have FLAC on my Cowon so it takes quite some space. My question would be how much storage of the iPhone goes to software and couple of additional apps. I fear 16GB won't keep me happy for more than a year - especially not if I stick to lossless! How many ALAC albums fit on your iPhone 16GB?
So, possibly going to lossy...

Which AAC encoder settings are similar to AoTuv Ogg Vorbis VBR q6? I use these for bad quality recordings that don't wow me quality wise anyway and I think AoTuv does an incredibly awesome job!

To display album art the cover has to be tagged, right? If I tag my files with 500x500 image covers would that make the cover flow stutter? iTunes seems to be overstrained sometimes on a Q6600 w/ GT8800, lol (on Win XP)!

What did you pay for your iPhone 3GS? Just to make sure I'm not getting ripped off (by a family member, lol)!
tongue.gif

The key questions are in bold, thank you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #2 of 20
I'd go for the 32GB.. Lossless codecs are about the same - at least these 2. If its the 3G S don't think cover speed is going to be a problem - what where you thinking? People using 32x32?
biggrin.gif
- these are graphics people/idiots in the sense that many crapple users work with design and such as their job... they tend to over rate that sort IMO... Price sounds okay.. Get ready to live in DRM hell and crapple world..

Aug 7, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #3 of 20
You make me miss FLAC/Ogg already.
frown.gif

Can't I just convert via foobar and copy the files over? Many people have said online that drag&drop does work...

Edit:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultrazino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which AAC encoder settings are similar to AoTuv Ogg Vorbis VBR q6?

I've played around with Nero AAC Encoder a bit. q0.5 has approximately the same size but IMO it sounds a little inferior - at least on my preferred music.

Does the extension have to be .m4a or does the iPhone recognize .mp4 and .aac as well?

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

You make me miss FLAC/Ogg already.
frown.gif

Can't I just convert via foobar and copy the files over? Many people have said online that drag&drop does work...

Edit:

I've played around with Nero AAC Encoder a bit. q0.5 has approximately the same size but IMO it sounds a little inferior - at least on my preferred music.

Does the extension have to be .m4a or does the iPhone recognize .mp4 and .aac as well?

I wouldn't use anything but what crapple does in Itunes (convert FLAC to WAVE and add to itunes then delete WAVE) - many converters have issues. AAC used in ITunes on the best quality setting is by far the best lossy codec BTW - thats why the new DAB+ system uses AAC...

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamerphile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't use anything but what crapple does in Itunes (convert FLAC to WAVE and add to itunes then delete WAVE) - many converters have issues. AAC used in ITunes on the best quality setting is by far the best lossy codec BTW - thats why the new DAB+ system uses AAC...

Okay, thanks. I think I'm getting used to iTunes. Using 256 kbit VBR and it sounds pretty good. Haven't noticed any flaws 'til now.
Mp3Tag saves a lot of time, though. Still, makes me think twice whether I want to copy the album to the iPhone, lol!

That answers all the questions but the one about the price.
16GB sounds fair: 450 € = 650 $
32GB: 600 € = 860 $

Prices in Germany range from 700 € to over 1,000 €.

Aug 7, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

How many ALAC albums fit on your iPhone 16GB?

Which AAC encoder settings are similar to AoTuv Ogg Vorbis VBR q6? I

If I tag my files with 500x500 image covers would that make the cover flow stutter?

What did you pay for your iPhone 3GS?

1. No idea

2. No idea

3. No, but I have some album art at high resolutions that ends up being totally black and not displayed at all. I stick to 320x320.

4. $494US for the 32GB, unlocked and contract-free.

Enjoy sound quality superior to what you were using before..
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$494US for the 32GB, unlocked and contract-free.

confused_face.gif
Wow! That. Is. Not. Fair!
frown.gif

(No wonder everybody has an iPhone in USA!) Well, the cheapest - by far - is 450 € for 16 GB. I just bought one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe if I find a good deal on a 32 GB version my wife will take the 16 GB one.

Aug 7, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

confused_face.gif
Wow! That. Is. Not. Fair!
frown.gif

(No wonder everybody has an iPhone in USA!) Well, the cheapest - by far - is 450 € for 16 GB. I just bought one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe if I find a good deal on a 32 GB version my wife will take the 16 GB one.

It isn't because I spent that on the Nokia N97 NAM, which I traded to get the 3GS.
wink.gif
Otherwise isn't $199/299 on-contract, or something like $599/699 off-contract.

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 20
I'll add that you shouldn't worry about lossless so much on the iphone.. MP3 in the region of 256kbps (-V 1 or -V 0 if you really want the best) will be plenty and will save you a LOT of space.

If you don't believe me, just make a ALAC and MP3 version of some song you know really well, load both of them on (name them different titles so you know which is which) and listen to them completely, back to back. If you can tell a difference, then go for lossless. If not, MP3
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll add that you shouldn't worry about lossless so much on the iphone.. MP3 in the region of 256kbps (-V 1 or -V 0 if you really want the best) will be plenty and will save you a LOT of space.

If you don't believe me, just make a ALAC and MP3 version of some song you know really well, load both of them on (name them different titles so you know which is which) and listen to them completely, back to back. If you can tell a difference, then go for lossless. If not, MP3
smily_headphones1.gif

I did this before. With my poor AKG K-55 I couldn't tell the difference between -V 5.5 and .wav, lol. When I got my CX-500 I repeated this and I got up to -V 3 so I started ripping all my CDs to -V 3. But when I made use of the EQ I could tell the difference again so I was so pissed that I ditched lossy codecs altogether.

When I got my Cowon and I noticed 16 GB will not be enough I searched for a decent encoder and found AoTuv's version of Ogg Vorbis. Much, much better than MP3 to my ears! However, I never got off FLAC 'til now!
tongue.gif

I guess 256 kbit VBR AAC will suffice for the Bose On-Ear...
wink.gif

Edit: I just compared FLAC (foobar2k) to AAC (iTunes) and the difference is tremendous. AAC sounds a lot harsher and flatter. It's missing the space of the FLAC and it's missing a lot of smoothness in the vocals (The Hellacopters - Rainy Days Revisited). Overall it sounds as if it's a lot closer.
Might be because I compare different programs, though...

Aug 7, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got an Iphone 3GS and I'm ripping all my ALAC files onto 320 AAC, which sounds very good. I don't know if going to 256 VBR I'll notice the difference vs. 320? any opinions?

Only obvious opinion is to make your own opinion. Guess it matters which amp (if any) and headphone you use, which genres you listen to, which frequencies/instruments you pay most attention to and last but not least how good your ears are.
It probably is possible to hear the difference but I think only a minority can tell it.

All I can tell right now is that my encoded AAC files sound different to the FLAC & OGG files I have but I strongly assume it's because of different decoders/programs...

Aug 7, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got an Iphone 3GS and I'm ripping all my ALAC files onto 320 AAC, which sounds very good. I don't know if going to 256 VBR I'll notice the difference vs. 320? any opinions?

most likely not

Aug 7, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Edit: I just compared FLAC (foobar2k) to AAC (iTunes) and the difference is tremendous. AAC sounds a lot harsher and flatter. It's missing the space of the FLAC and it's missing a lot of smoothness in the vocals (The Hellacopters - Rainy Days Revisited). Overall it sounds as if it's a lot closer.
Might be because I compare different programs, though...

iTunes is crap. In every sense of the word. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that it resamples inside. But in any case, what bitrate was that AAC at?

And this comparison wasn't done on the iphone right? Your home rig? Its probably more revealing then the iphone will be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back