Come on - Admit it. Who here has liked Bose at some stage in their lives??
Jan 5, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #16 of 74
You know, I have to admit that they can really put on a good show for their equipment. It's really easy to get taken in by their hype when you go sit in their mock home theater for one of their presentations. FWIW, I think they're decent equipment, just not for their price.

Jan 5, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #17 of 74
Actually, I had never heard of bose before I got to head-fi. Probably because I do all my shopping online and never watch TV.

Jan 5, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #18 of 74
My Bose QC3s are great for their intended purpose. Much more comfortable than my E4c, although the soundstage isn't as good.

Jan 5, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #19 of 74
I haven't ever. My friend's parents got a $1000+ Bose surround system, and I went to look at it, these little crap-looking square speakers that couldnt' have been bigger than 4"...I was like...this is the surround system you've told me about? Later on I showed him my very modest Altec Lansing floorstanders + JBL bookshelves (for rear) surround setup, which blew him away
wink.gif

I remember when they first came out with the Media Mates and it was supposed to be a big deal. To me they looked like ordinary stock computer speakers being sold at the price of a decent computer speaker setup.

Jan 5, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #20 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In 1982 (I was 11) I went stereo shopping with my parents and they guy demo'd the 901 series speakers with a recording of a jet plane. I dont know if those are actually considered good or not?

Yep, the 901s were considered the rage during the 70s and 80s. I notice Bose still sells them. Since they're well over 30 years old, they've got to be good
icon10.gif
Actually it was about 1982 that my dad decided to get really nice speakers....he wound up with the 901s. So during my grade school/ middle school years, I thought nothing could compete with the 901s. Looking back, I don't know what I was thinking: my dad spent $2k on speakers that have no bass or high treble. The whole gimmic for the 901s was that they had 13 small speakers in each cabinet....all radiating in different directions so that the sound waves get reflected all over the room. No doubt Bose came up with this when quad sound was in its hey day!!! Lets just say the spacial qualities of not knowing where things are coming from is not exactly as engaging as 5.1 surround.

*edit* just decided to get on Bose website to see what they advertise about the 901s now. Looks like they came out in 1968!!! Almost 40 years old, and I love how the ad says "breakthrough technology". Well at least they've lowered the original price of $2k down to $1.4k. Real savings!

http://www.bose.com/controller?event...standing_index

Jan 5, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #21 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaughter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never liked Bose and I will admit it. I have always been a "best bang for the buck" guy, even when I was younger. My friends parents had a complete Bose surround system and my Polk system that cost much much less sounded much much better. That is when I relaized they were over-priced and over-hyped. Glad I found out when I was young or I might have actually purchased something.......

Yea - I'm glad I never purchased anything.

Jan 5, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #23 of 74
Ive had a look at some of their stuff through work and to be honest, their professional stuff is ok. I listened to their stereo speakers (I was going to spend much, much more) and thought that for the price, compared to others they were good. However I was looking at the upper end of the market, towards the Linn Majik system, but wanted to see what was around so I tried Bose, B&W Nautilus speakers, B&O BEO as they are the 'big names'.

I did get an iPod dock for christmas though and it does get used (sorry folks)

I finally settled on these speakers: http://www.german-physiks.com/NewFiles/Speaker.html - click on 'The Gaudi'

Personally im just fed up of reading about people who think that Bose is rubbish when they themselves couldn't pull out something any better than a £40 CD player.

Jan 5, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #24 of 74
lol, yeah when I was in high school and the first apple iPods were coming out the Apple store had them demoing in the store with triports hooked up. I listened and was liek whoa, awesome. But then I found true audio quality, I have never looked back.
600smile.gif

Jan 5, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #25 of 74
Glad to see I'm not alone.... about 8 years back a friend of mine made the decision to purchase a $4,000 home theatre system from a Bose OUTLET!! (USED and\or OUTDATE GEAR)... now that had to hurt!

Jan 5, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #26 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, the 901s were considered the rage during the 70s and 80s. I notice Bose still sells them. Since they're well over 30 years old, they've got to be good
icon10.gif
Actually it was about 1982 that my dad decided to get really nice speakers....he wound up with the 901s. So during my grade school/ middle school years, I thought nothing could compete with the 901s. Looking back, I don't know what I was thinking: my dad spent $2k on speakers that have no bass or high treble. The whole gimmic for the 901s was that they had 13 small speakers in each cabinet....all radiating in different directions so that the sound waves get reflected all over the room. No doubt Bose came up with this when quad sound was in its hey day!!! Lets just say the spacial qualities of not knowing where things are coming from is not exactly as engaging as 5.1 surround.

*edit* just decided to get on Bose website to see what they advertise about the 901s now. Looks like they came out in 1968!!! Almost 40 years old, and I love how the ad says "breakthrough technology". Well at least they've lowered the original price of $2k down to $1.4k. Real savings!

http://www.bose.com/controller?event...standing_index

But but, look at the beautiful stands!!!

p_901_l_ba.jpg

Edit:

Believe it or not, those stands only cost a mere $160. So little of a price when buying perfection.

Jan 5, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #27 of 74
901 speakers work by reflecting most of the sound off walls and other flat surfaces, instead of aiming all the sound toward you, as conventional speakers do. With Direct/Reflecting® speaker technology, anything you listen to—from the latest DVD audio to your favorite vintage records—acquires lifelike realism, because the speakers reproduce the natural concert hall balance of direct and reflected sound.

I guess acoustical engineers that spend thousands of dollars to avoid these exact reflections just haven't heard Bose yet!

Jan 5, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #28 of 74
We have a Bose Wave system at work. Its small but put out excellent sound.

Jan 5, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #29 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But but, look at the beautiful stands!!!

That's true!!! Really value oriented now! My dad's didn't come with stands.
plainface.gif
For the past 20 years they've acted more as plant stands for my mom then active speakers for my dad. Every once in awhile they get used for entertaining guests and playing holiday CDs. Sound isn't that bad, but not exactly concert hall either.

Jan 5, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #30 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Droc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We have a Bose Wave system at work. Its small but put out excellent sound.

I'll admit the Bose Wave Radio has very, very airy bass. But not $500 worth of it
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back