Come Inside! Help me out!!
Sep 10, 2006 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Stangs55

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm rather new to the 'computer-as-source' world and I need a good jumpstart.

I definately know my way around computers, so we can skip the "mp3 is poor quality" and other posts.
smily_headphones1.gif

Basically, I've come to the realization that I am REALLY underutilizing my computer. I've got a very fast system with 4 hard drives and 850 Gb of storage with a fat chunk of that consisting of lossless audio files.

But my question is really this- How good can a computer-as-source setup really be?

So where do I need to start? I've got a SB X-Fi that I'm not willing to part with due to my gaming addiction...but I am willing to put a 2nd sound card in as well if you guys think it'll make a big difference. What are my options there?

From the Sound Card to...what? A digital out to a DAC maybe? This is where I'm really really interested. What would you guys recommend for around $200-300? Or is there a better option?

From a DAC I'd probably be going to my RSA SR-71. Again, that is unless there is a killer DAC/Amp combo that you guys could recommend. Here...I might be willing to go up to $500ish if we could kill 2 birds here. If not, I've always wanted to dive into the world of tube amps. Recommendations?

From Amp, I'll be going to my cans which consist of a piece of everything. My primary cans will probably be Beyer DT 990, then Shure E500, then AKG K701.

So what do you guys think? Where should I start here?

Sep 10, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangs55
But my question is really this- How good can a computer-as-source setup really be?
From the Sound Card to...what? A digital out to a DAC maybe? This is where I'm really really interested. What would you guys recommend for around $200-300? Or is there a better option?
So what do you guys think? Where should I start here?

What you should get if you're set on using your computer:

Foobar2k
Short length glass toslink cable
DAC
Decent interconnects
Amp

You could also start with a Squeezebox 3 -- apparently a lot of people use it with expensive gear: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19817

You would also want a DAC and amp for this setup as well, but it provides some separation from your computer. It still depends on your computer as a source for the data, but through the network.

As for a DAC/Amp combo, you could look into getting a Benchmark DAC-1 (~$775 Audiogon) which some Head-Fi members claim has a good headphone amp section and is a great DAC as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back