Come Build A Portable Amp with Us!!
May 29, 2004 at 8:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ipodstudio

Banned: - aka full monty - aka didikossa - aka R1D1 - aka migraineboy - aka setharmstrong - aka threavester - aka Sarah.B - aka javier - aka DoomV1 - aka JIAA
Just to make sure you guys here don't miss this as I know not everyone who uses this forum uses the portable forum:

We have a little project going here where we are going to build a small portable (but good!!) headphone amp together as a group.

Rick42 is designing the amp (just about done), then we're buying the parts together in a group buy and all participants will receive a kit with exactly the same components inside.
We will then proceed to build the amps together, asking all questions on one single thread which everyone can follow.
Schematics and all info required is being published and we'll walk everyone slowly and carefully through the entire build process.

Most of the 30 odd participants who have so far signed up have zero experience with soldering or electronics at all (including me!) but want to learn and this is a great chance to start at the beginning and receive expert guidance along the way. By the time we've finished, all the participants will understand exactly how a headphone amp works and how to construct a basic one.

If all goes well we'll continue with these projects on a regular basis, making more and more complicated and advanced ones with each step.

Anyone is welcome, just sign up on this thread.

There should soon be a whole new drove of portable audiophiles here with great little headphone amps!! These are going to be mint tin size, though not the mint design.

See ya there!!

smily_headphones1.gif

May 29, 2004 at 9:30 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by james__bean
I've seen this posted in a couple places, I'm just wondering how much the kit is going to run. I just spent $300 on an iRiver iHP-120 so I'm a little broke.
tongue.gif

We're keeping it low cost, under $50 for the components. The idea is to make an amp everyone can cope with building and paying for, but which sounds GOOD!

gpalmer, great to have you in with us! We need a few of the experienced boys here, too..
wink.gif

May 30, 2004 at 10:52 AM Post #5 of 15
Sounds like an interesting project. Might be interested, if the universal PCB can be purchased alone (do you have a cost estimate for this part?).

Also, will the schematic be posted or is this design exclusively in Rick's head?

D.

May 30, 2004 at 11:16 AM Post #6 of 15
Nice idea. I'd like some more info on the amp, though. So is there a thread in which the amp design is discussed?

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

May 30, 2004 at 1:21 PM Post #8 of 15
Add me to the growing list!
280smile.gif

May 31, 2004 at 12:14 PM Post #9 of 15
Demolition: Big thanks for the info!

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Visited the forum in the meantime - it's fast. Very nice...

May 31, 2004 at 4:10 PM Post #10 of 15
Woah! Sorry I missed some responses! Looks like Demo covered it, though, thanks Demo!! All I can say is that this is going to be one BIG project with both total newbies and real experts and we're all going to learn alot and have some fun...
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Also, will the schematic be posted or is this design exclusively in Rick's head?

you would be surprised to find what is in my head !

be afraid ,be very afraid .........
very_evil_smiley.gif

BTW-the lack of details at this point is intentional to avoid the "sooners" who like to jaclk rabbit ahead of the tortoise and when it turns out badly cry and moan about it.

the whole intent of this is not for those who have already built an amp but for the newbies who think it is beyond their capabilities to do and if everyone is on the same step the troubleshooting of any problems will be easy

of course there will always be those who will leap frog but that can not be helped once the details are up and if problems arise they will be on thier own until everyone is on the same page

Hopefully , if all goes according to plan (and nothing ever really does-murphy's law is real) a new batch of DIYers will be born that can if they want to step up to something more complex like the amps discussd in the DIY forum here at head-fi

Jun 5, 2004 at 7:15 AM Post #12 of 15
OK, final reminder guys!! The last day for joining this project is TOMORROW, so if you've been mulling it over, the time to stop mulling has arrived..
smily_headphones1.gif

Right now where 46 participants!!
rickmeister.gif

Jun 15, 2004 at 7:17 AM Post #13 of 15
Just a reminder that your kits must be paid for by the end of tomorrow (16th). After that we order the kits.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back