Combo DAC/Amp solution for mobile source? (CIEMs and Supra-aural cans)
Oct 21, 2014 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jonvply908

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I finally made my custom iem purchase, opting for the 1964ears V6-Stage. I had been using a HiFiMeDIY Sabre dac with 16bit/48kHz and a FiiO e12 Mont Blanc, but I've decided I want a dedicated dac/amp solution.

Right now I am using a Moto X 2013, and will upgrade to another Android phone at some point relatively soon. 

I've looked at the Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2, the FiiO e18, and the Light Harmonic Geek Out. I'm trying to maximize quality with price, and I really do want a DAC and Amp all in one. Advice and suggestions outside of the current 3 would be great, and reasons why or why not would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #2 of 6
From my research (as im in the market of doing some upgrades right now as well) the JDS Labs C5D is pretty much the cream of the crop for portable, if you're willing to drop about $250 for something that A) probably will never need replacing unless you break it and B) can be used for any other device, including desktop PC. 

Otherwise, I believe Fiio is coming out with a new E12 that's supposed to be impression for mobile IEM use.

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #3 of 6
From my research (as im in the market of doing some upgrades right now as well) the JDS Labs C5D is pretty much the cream of the crop for portable, if you're willing to drop about $250 for something that A) probably will never need replacing unless you break it and B) can be used for any other device, including desktop PC. 

Otherwise, I believe Fiio is coming out with a new E12 that's supposed to be impression for mobile IEM use.

It is to my understanding that it doesn't work on android, is that not the case?

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #4 of 6
It is to my understanding that it doesn't work on android, is that not the case?

It shoudl work on Android just fine. It's iOS that requires some adapters and ****.

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #6 of 6
This does change things. That does look like a purchase I can extend a little bit on and be satisfied with it

You can watch some YouTube videos of the C5D where they talk about compatibility and it's many modes (that change compatibility) to double check this, but yea, I'm pretty sure it runs Android fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back