Combining a DAC and Headphone amp
Mar 1, 2010 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Super J

New Head-Fier
I would like to build a Bantam DAC and an mini3 headphone amp in the same enclosure. I would also like to have selectable inputs and outputs, so that either component could be used individually. The DAC would be powered by USB and the mini by a wall wart.

Are there any interference problems I could run into?

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 13
I think you could use a switched input jack so that the mini3 (or Carrie) would only use the bantam when there isn't anything plugged into the input jack. For the bantam output you could then just add a second output jack or work in a DPDT switch to select between the two but I don't think there'd be much of a downside to always running the bantam through the mini3.

Mar 2, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 13
Why power the mini by wallwart when you can use the USB supply that's already there? You could also use that USB 5V -> 9V adapter that fits into a standard 9V spot (designed for use in the mini3), that way you can remove the adapter and insert a regular 9V if you wanted to use the Mini3 separately. Someone here did a run of boards for that and I can't remember who its was and I can't find the thread. Apologies to that person, hopefully someone else knows what I'm talking about.

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #9 of 13
You'll get 11 volts to swing with on the wallwart.

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by cobaltmute /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/ic-...supply-416347/

Yes, that one! Thanks. Apologies to Nemo de Monet for forgetting that.

If you're worried about swing you can configure the Carrie or the modular power supply for up to 24V (I believe that is the highest voltage DCP available), depending on the current required. A wallwart is fine but the USB supply may be more convenient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back