Columbia House/BMG?
Sep 26, 2002 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 6
I just joined the BMG thing, didn't find any decent labels (Prolly no way you'd find Telarc there), but I didn't look too hard.
Any idea how long it takes to get your free CD's after you place the order? It's been a week and a half and I'm just getting anxious.

Sep 27, 2002 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 6
Most of the BMG discs are licensed from the their respective lables and manufactured by WEA, I believe. So for most albums you get a version that's identical in content (they'd really have to **** things up to not copy the bits right) but somewhat lower quality physically, e.g., the paint job of the discs and the print job on the notes isn't as well done.

The exception is, strangely, all the Sony labels (Sony Music, Epic, Columbia, Legacy, etc). At least in my experience (which is about twenty discs), you get the disc that was actually produced by Sony. This is strange, of course, because Columbia House is affiliated with Sony and competes with BMG Music.

You also get the real disc for the EMI labels (EMI, Capitol, etc). You definitely don't get the real disc from Geffen and PolyGram (PolyGram, Mercury, Anthem). I have both real discs and WEA copies from the Warner labels (WB, Elektra, Atlantic), but mostly copies -- the only originals are The Doors albums, probably since they've been in such high production for so long. (I think WEA handles the manufacturing for normal Warner discs anyway, but the ones you get from BMG are definitely different.)

The only small labels that I've encountered are Impulse! and V2. I have copies of the former and the original of the latter.

Okay, so anyway, now that I've spent all that time writing something completely irrelevent, I'll add that there aren't many of the small audiophile labels carried by any of the music clubs, including BMG and Columbia House.

And, ian, BMG has very slow shipping, but a week and a half is slow even for them. I find it usually takes about five business days or maybe one or two more at the most for delivery.

kerelybonto

Sep 27, 2002 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 6
I don't remember ever seeing the better brands at Columbia House.
I just received an order of 9 cd from them today. The labels are these;
Geffen label manufactured by Columbia House
Capitol label manufactured by Columbia House
David Geffen Company manufactured by ....
Elektra and Epic seem to be the only ones in this shipment that aren't manufactured by Columbia House.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back