Coltrane
Oct 6, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #31 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6
I don't want to take-over this thread, but I think we should start a Kenny G fan club.

Please sign below.

A favorite Kenny G memory would be greatly appreciated.

true story:

i was at a sushi restaurant in LA about 12 years ago when you-know-who (Mr. G) walks in, the owner rushes up to greet him, and all of a sudden this saccharine, smarmy, god-awful music comes blasting through the restaurant.

i nearly yakked my maki.

Oct 6, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #33 of 73
KENNY G???!!?!?!?!??!!!!

blink.gif

please oh please, dont insult Coltrane.

Oct 6, 2006 at 12:56 PM Post #34 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6
Someone who has never heard, but is curious about John Coltrane may stumble across this thread looking for recommendations. By any standard, Coltrane's post-1965 work is difficult. Even John's former band members didn't "get it". Nonetheless, it is what it is.

I own a good portion of the Coltrain catalog. I can't get past 1965. I have tried and tried. I find the music assaultive and abusive. I understand the music is a masterpiece, but then I am reminded of Mark Twain: "A Masterpiece is something everyone owns, but no one listens (reads) to".

It seems to me that if you are going to sing the praises of Coltrain's later works, a warning should also accompany the recommendation. I firmly believe that in the vast majority of cases, a first purchase of a post-1965 Coltrane album will be the last. That would be a sin.

My first John Coltrane album purchase recommendation: Cotrane Plays the Blues.

Sorry for being cranky, sand in the vagina is a bitch!

Coltrane is one of those musicians you gotta read about as well as listen to. His later works went beyond music, they are political theory as much as anything else. You can't appreciate them unless you understand why they were so radical.

Coltrane was the pinacle of a series of balck jazz musicians that inspired and took inspiration from the civil rights movement. Their music was about making a statement that balck musicians could artists and not just entertainers. He set about eradicating every European influence on his music.

Oct 6, 2006 at 2:01 PM Post #35 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by redrich2000
Coltrane is one of those musicians you gotta read about as well as listen to. His later works went beyond music, they are political theory as much as anything else. You can't appreciate them unless you understand why they were so radical.

Coltrane was the pinacle of a series of balck jazz musicians that inspired and took inspiration from the civil rights movement. Their music was about making a statement that balck musicians could artists and not just entertainers. He set about eradicating every European influence on his music.

With all due respect, that sounds more like youve read about Trane than listened to him. Political theory as much as anything else? Hardly. Very very little about what Coltrane did was political. He even spoke very little about his political beliefs. Many black musicians that followed were much more political and were influenced by Trane. But he was 99.9% about the music, and reading a book on him has nothing to do with your ability to appreciate him. He wasnt about making a statement about black performers (that statement had already been made by Duke Ellington and the like 40 years earlier) and he certainly wasnt trying to eradicate anything. He was trying to build something new. Coltrane has no problem with European music, he simply didnt use it as a basis for his later work.

Oct 6, 2006 at 2:15 PM Post #36 of 73
Coltrane says:
Quote:

Coltrane has no problem with European music, he simply didnt use it as a basis for his later work.

I agree with the new Secretary of the Kenny G Fan Club (KGFG)

Kenny G Fan Club:
Jbucia2005: President
VicAjax: Vice President
Coltrane: Secretary

We expect great things from the three of you!
very_evil_smiley.gif

EDIT: The motto of the Kenny G Fan Club (KGFG): "Its hard to Blow and Suck at the same time".

Oct 6, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #38 of 73
I'm just now getting into Trane, and I purchased "A love Supreme" as my first intro to this great musician. I couldn't be happier with my purchase, as this was exactly what I was looking for.

Which album should I try next? Trane plays the Blues, or interstellar space?

Oct 6, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #39 of 73
For easier listening try "Ballads".

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #40 of 73
rock\ says:
Quote:

Which album should I try next? Trane plays the Blues, or interstellar space?

That is the subject matter of my post.

"A Love Supreme" for whatever the reason, is about as far as I can go with Coltrane. There are others on this site that think I'm crazy or worst, I have no taste. All I know is that I can't get into his later works.

I can almost guarantee that you will like the albums Coltrane produced from 1958'ish to 1964'ish. Just pick-up the album or cd that is on sale. It is that simply.

Now the rub, there is a devoted and knowledgeable group of Coltraine fans. They believe that his best is some of his last works. You may or you may not like his recordings after "A Love Supreme". I do not and I am not alone.

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #41 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wil
For easier listening try "Ballads".

And for some not-so-easy listening try "Live in Seatlle".
wink.gif

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #42 of 73
Thanks for the responses.

I have really weird tastes when it comes to music. I love Jazz, but aren't too fond of the big band or swing types of Jazz. I like the free form style of "A love supreme" much much more. I just Purchased Monk's Ken Burn's compilation, and after that, I will get the Thelonius Monk with John Coltrane album.

I can tell you one thing, I definitely don't like Kenneth Glick, otherwise known as Kenny G. That's what I call cereal box Jazz.

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #43 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by rock\
Thanks for the responses.

I have really weird tastes when it comes to music. I love Jazz, but aren't too fond of the big band or swing types of Jazz. I like the free form style of "A love supreme" much much more. I just Purchased Monk's Ken Burn's compilation, and after that, I will get the Thelonius Monk with John Coltrane album.

I can tell you one thing, I definitely don't like Kenneth Glick, otherwise known as Kenny G. That's what I call cereal box Jazz.

Interestingly, although I have 51 coltrane cds, I hate A Love Supreme, and sold it a long time. That being said, my favorite all-time works of John Coltrane is on the Atlantc box set (complete Atlantic years.)

But in all truth, I prefer Kenny G much more.
wink.gif

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #44 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane
I'll let it slide however, because of the difficulty and the comedy of quoting both Simpsons and Spinal Tap at the same time.

That's easy!

"Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encore!"

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #45 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by rock\

His real last name is Gorelick.

Dont ask me why I know that.

Please.

Here you are, among the top one hundred and five concert acts today.
What's your secret, guys?
-- Interviewing Spinal Tap, ``The Otto Show''

We're very big in Bulgaria. And what-his-name, the other -garia...
-- Spinal Tap speaks, ``The Otto Show''

Users who are viewing this thread

Back