Coltrane and Monk at Carnegie Hall
Dec 20, 2005 at 1:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Doc Sarvis

1000+ Head-Fier
I just picked up this "new" album (for those who haven't heard, it's a recently rediscovered live performance from the 50s, long thought to be lost). I got in on 200gm vinyl, the way it would have been heard when it was recorded.

What an album! Pick it up if you have any interest at all in jazz.

Dec 20, 2005 at 1:50 AM Post #2 of 7
yep i have the redbook of it and i think it's amazing- not just for historical purposes but because Trane and Monk together is a special combo!

Dec 20, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #3 of 7
I'll vouch for it as well. Although the recording quality may not be on par with some of the better recorded studio albums, the nostalgia is nothing short of amazing.

Dec 20, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #4 of 7
I heard a friend's CD recording, and recently ordered it on the 200g vinyl from Mosaic. I simply cannot wait until this arrives at my door!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #5 of 7
Ohh I love this album. Plus the cover art is great, I love how one line become John Coltrane of Thelonious. Its too bad they don't have any recordings of the Five spot gigs, now from the reading those recordings sounded like the ultimate.

Dec 20, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
Great redbook cd. Now I have to get the vinyl.

It's worth it. The vinyl is an awesome experience. I actually had the rbcd and sold it on Amazon to get the vinyl (which I got from Acoustic Sounds).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back