Colorfly C4 or HM-801?
Nov 19, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #106 of 113
Quote:
I only get into this hobby when hard drives and SD cards became bigger and cheaper, as a hi-end two channel fan I watched in the wings for years

I can see no reason at all to listen to anything lossy - I carry around 1 terrabyte of SD cards that take up the space of a cigarette packet

For me this hobby is all about quality not convenience

I agree. Convenience is one thing. But I only would use lossy exclusively on a player that is not hifi. Pretty much it serves the need to play lossy it would be a waste of space to play lossless due to not really getting any gains (this is due to the player not being up to par). But on a player that is hifi (very revealing) I don't want the music being hindered to save space. It's already bad enough when you have some of your favorite songs that weren't mastered in the best manner lol :p.

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #107 of 113
Quote:
I only get into this hobby when hard drives and SD cards became bigger and cheaper, as a hi-end two channel fan I watched in the wings for years

I can see no reason at all to listen to anything lossy - I carry around 1 terrabyte of SD cards that take up the space of a cigarette packet

For me this hobby is all about quality not convenience

Confirmed that a 24/192 WAV plays fine. On the other hand, I could not convince myself (with the single selection I tried) that I could tell the difference between it and the 320kbps MP3 I created from it. I can on my home system, but not on the portable setup.

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #108 of 113
I have rubbish ears - ruined by years of playing gigs and time in recording studios

Yet I have done A/B on 320 vs 16/44 WAV - and I can spot it every time.

Nov 22, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #109 of 113
lol love that one "rubbish ears". If I was to go to the mainland and even use the word "rubbish" I'd get stares lol. We use some of the English, English terms here in Hawaii as well :).

Dec 8, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #110 of 113
I own a Colorfly C4 and use it almost every day. I did own a dx100 briefly but I returned it. I prefer the sound of the C4 but the dx100 has more features. I do miss the ability to create playlists and shuffle my entire collection. Overall, I'm still happy with my purchase of the C4. I not only use it as a portable device. I also use the digital out to an external dac.

Did you needs special cable? My digital coax cable wont plug into my c4 as the female plug section is recessed into the botto, plate...

Dec 8, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #111 of 113
Quote:
Did you needs special cable? My digital coax cable wont plug into my c4 as the female plug section is recessed into the botto, plate...

The RCA plug needs to be small. I have some cables that won't work either.

Here is an example of an inexpensive cable that will work:
http://www.amazon.com/HOSA-DOUBLE-SHIELD-COAX-GOLD-PLATED-RCAs/dp/B000068OEV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355001450&sr=8-1&keywords=hosa+spdif+rca

Here is another more expensive one that should work that I just ordered for myself:
http://www.moon-audio.com/audio-cables/moon-audio-digital-cables/dh-labs-custom-built-d-75-digital-cable.html

It is an inconvenience that many cables don't work but there are many that will. I'll hopefully have the cable from Moon Audio soon, and I'll be able to verify that it works if you are interested. The inexpensive one from amazon definitely fits and works fine. I've been using it for a while.

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #112 of 113
I also own a C4 for nearly a year now. Combined with a pair of Grado GS1000 sounds absolutely amaizing . Besides the primitive interface there is nothing bad to say about this portable player. I've read all 8 pages of this thread and some links to other thread and ,except for what I already mentioned bout the interface, all bad things said about build ,battery  etc are not true.

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #113 of 113
I like mine very much as well, but other than the interface my other shortfall is with the amp. While it is on the excellent side, it could be better with a bi-polar supply (no coupling caps) and more drive capability.
It is still the best one piece unit I have personally run across, but I am still hoping some day to find the ultimate unit :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back