Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
Jul 30, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #1,607 of 3,325
Quote:
Yesterday connected my C3 to my computer via the USB cable and get the following message "You need to format the disk in drive H: before you can use it". I'm using a Sandisk Ultra 64 GB Micro SDXC formatted Fat32. I used a SD card adapter with my Laptop to prepare the card and can add music on it and the C3 as no problem so far. I bought a card reader yesterday that has a slot for Micro SDXC card but could not get the card detected. If I use the adaptor it worked fine.

Anyone getting similar result with their cards?

Thanks

Yes, exactly the same thing with my Windows7 laptop. Won't work on a usb port. I have to use the Sandisk adaptor that came with the card.

And I used a program called Fat32Format to format the card:
 [size=medium]http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm[/size]

Here is also some related info that ClieOS posted in the X5 thread:
[size=13.333333015441895px] Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS 

SDXC comes in two standards: the current one we are using is the 3.0 version that also define SDHC. With 3.0 standard, SDHC and SDXC have the same pins configuration and power requirement. The difference is, SDHC uses FAT32 for formatting while SDXC uses exFAT. However, FAT32 supports up to 2TB, same as exFAT, so you can format a SDXC card with FAT32 and the SD reader itself should not know the difference. However, exFAT is a Microsoft thing so if you plug a FAT32 formatted SDXC card into a Windows PC, it will always ask you to reformat it back to exFAT - this is Microsoft way of trying to trick people to stick to exFAT. With a compatible card reader however (like the one inside X3), even a Windows PC will allow read/write on FAT32 formatted SDXC card. So in theory, X3 should support up to 2TB of SDXC card, right? Well, not so fast.

At current stage, the reading/writing speed of v3 standard is enough (SD is max'ed around 256GB while microSD is max'ed around 64GB). But once we move toward 1TB and 2TB, the reading/writing speed will likely not be fast enough. To solve this, the version 4.0 will replace the current version 3 standard. With version 4 card, it will requires extra pins and different power requirement. V4 card reader will be backward compatible to V3 card, but the V4 card will not work on V3 reader. So the simple truth is, though iBasso claims the DX50 is future proof, it really isn't - if the future 2TG SDXC card is V4 standard, neither DX50 or X3 will be able to read it. At this point, no one really know when V4 standard will be used, so claiming future compatibility is mostly just a wishful thinking.

[/size]

[size=13.333333015441895px]  [/size]

Jul 30, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #1,608 of 3,325
Btw, all cards are not created equal. For example, I had a 32GB Lexar card for my Clip Zip, but the zip kept hanging. Drove me nuts. Finally got a Sandisk card and no hanging. The Lexar card doesn't cause my other devices to hang though - only the clip zip. Anyway, when getting my 64GB card, I wasn't going to take any chances.

Jul 30, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #1,609 of 3,325
Quote:
I bought a kingston 64gb mirco sdxc especially for my C3 but whatever I tried it would always say no files. so after some investagating it seems the C3 only accepts 32gb or lower, well supposedly!

I have a 64gb sandisk sdxc card (formatted to fat32) working in my C3 right now. However, when accessing a few of the album folders on the C3, it shows no files. I haven't looked into it yet, but I think it might have to do with the song format, or else that the name is too long, or something like that.

Jul 30, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #1,610 of 3,325
Yes, exactly the same thing with my Windows7 laptop. Won't work on a usb port. I have to use the Sandisk adaptor that came with the card.

And I used a program called Fat32Format to format the card:
 [size=medium]http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm[/size]

Here is also some related info that ClieOS posted in the X5 thread:

Same here. I believe I used the same tool to format my card. We wad the same post I guest. I just tried my card in my Samsung S3 and it read it fine.
So that mean I always have to use the card reader to add music to my card.

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #1,612 of 3,325
Jul 30, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #1,613 of 3,325
I have returned it. they are sending me a 32gb one instead and refunding the difference.

Also when I looked up the tech specs for the C3 32gb was what was stated as the maximum card size. I tohught of putting it in my phone but had the same issue max card size it accepts is 32gb.  Ridiculous really when my phone has only been out a few months (htc one V btw).

Jul 30, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #1,614 of 3,325
Quote:
I have returned it. they are sending me a 32gb one instead and refunding the difference.

Also when I looked up the tech specs for the C3 32gb was what was stated as the maximum card size. I tohught of putting it in my phone but had the same issue max card size it accepts is 32gb.  Ridiculous really when my phone has only been out a few months (htc one V btw).

I'm pretty sure that if a device accepts a 32gb fat32 formatted SDHC card, that it will also accept a 64gb fat32 formatted SDXC card. At least for me, all of my devices work with the 64gb card, and that includes a fairly old Samsung Galaxy S2 and a Clip ZIp.

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #1,615 of 3,325
Something strange happened with my C3 a few nights ago.

I'd been listening to an album with Westone 4 (very good pairing btw). I fell asleep half way through and woke up to silence because the album had finished, though when I went to turn my C3 off it had already done so. Im not sure exactly when it turned off, it wasn't flat, nor had it frozen, maybe after the last track? I was rather surprised, nor can I work out why exactly. As we're aware C3 does not have any auto shutdown feature....

Westone 4 / C3 are probably the best I have heard both the little Colorfly and IEM perform, they rock me to sleep with ease these last few nights. For some reason jumping from Cowon J3 to Colorfly C3 with W4 is a big difference in overall SQ. Almost like they were made for each other. Very natural, smooth, you can really hear the signature of DAP and IEM blending together as one. It might not be suited for those who really want to rock out at higher volumes, though for laying down relaxing they really do sound semi professional. And with Westone 4 going for $499 new, so they bloody well should.

Another great pairing with C3 is this highly overlooked open air headphone here, Yamaha HPH-200. I picked these up for $80.00. I"ll have some more on those a later date, but they're slipping under the Head-Fi radar. I think many are aware Yamaha's earphone EPH-100 grabbed some success, though their open air headphone is just as impressive.

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #1,618 of 3,325
it was probably you who turned it off. Snuck through my window looking for FLAC files.

I think the only thing I'll find are low quality MP3s. :p

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #1,619 of 3,325
Something strange happened with my C3 a few nights ago.

I'd been listening to an album with Westone 4 (very good pairing btw). I fell asleep half way through and woke up to silence because the album had finished, though when I went to turn my C3 off it had already done so. Im not sure exactly when it turned off, it wasn't flat, nor had it frozen, maybe after the last track? I was rather surprised, nor can I work out why exactly. As we're aware C3 does not have any auto shutdown feature....

Yeah there is auto-shutdown but it only happens once it's finished playing, you can leave it on pause all day (and have a quiet journey home because it's flat :triportsad:)

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #1,620 of 3,325
It's a shame that Colorfly cannot resume to last played song but DOES REMEMBER THE VOLUME LEVEL. Tried the C3 in my car via AUX port and forgot to bring the volume down before shutting off. Not a good way to start the day 8^(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back