Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
Jul 12, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #1,516 of 3,325
Quote:
hey guys i'm looking to get the C3 after all the good reviews out there about it's great SQ over cowons & Sansa clip+ (my old lost player
frown.gif
) but my concern here will it drive the AKG K702 well ( not for an average performance but to a very good performance) with it's 62 ohm impedance & the 105 dB SPL/V sensitivity ?? or it will need amping ... an off topic question is the easily driven AKG k550 is far behind the K702 ? ... i wish to get one of those AKG's along with the C3 because of their great detailing & analytical sound & i'm leaning toward the open back K702 but can't afford an amp .... so what do you advice ?

I highly doubt it. Actually scratch that - pretty impossible given the output power of the C3 and how it struggles even with some iems. I heard the k701 few years back and it was connected to a desktop amp and needed quite a bit of juice. I don't think there will be many portable DAPs able to drive it properly and if some of the higher end with dedicated amp section can the you should be ready to shell out quite a bit more bucks. Probably the cheapest powerful DAP you can try will be the Fiio X3 if you're set on the akgs

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #1,517 of 3,325
Wayne, links to banned members sites and blogs are not allowed on Head-Fi. Please edit out the link and quote on the previous page.

Jul 12, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #1,518 of 3,325
Quote:
Wayne, links to banned members sites and blogs are not allowed on Head-Fi. Please edit out the link and quote on the previous page.

Oops! Done.

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #1,521 of 3,325
Quote:
hey guys i'm looking to get the C3 after all the good reviews out there about it's great SQ over cowons & Sansa clip+ (my old lost player
frown.gif
) but my concern here will it drive the AKG K702 well ( not for an average performance but to a very good performance) with it's 62 ohm impedance & the 105 dB SPL/V sensitivity ?? or it will need amping ... an off topic question is the easily driven AKG k550 is far behind the K702 ? ... i wish to get one of those AKG's along with the C3 because of their great detailing & analytical sound & i'm leaning toward the open back K702 but can't afford an amp .... so what do you advice ?

First of all Colofly C3 ($110) is an very very very excellent DAP.

It is far far far better than most of the main stream players like iPod or even Sansa.

I owned C3 & AKG K550, the combination is amazing! I also don't have problem with C3 to drive my DT880 and MDR-V6.

If you want to push C3's SQ to next level, then get a BH amp ($99). As far as sound quality goes, C3 will never let you down, I assure you!

biggrin.gif

Jul 13, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #1,522 of 3,325
Quote:
here you go my friend copy in order from compulsivecode
http://download.cnet.com/CopyInOrder/3000-2094_4-204676.html

I appreciate that audiotux, but my understanding is that "copyinorder" is used to copy files from one directory to another "in order". My issue with that is that it takes so long to do that with a 64GB card. I currently have all of my tunes on my card, so unless I am misunderstanding, I would have to use copyinorder to copy from the card to my computer, and then from my computer back to my card. If that is correct, then that is going to take quite a while. 

You previously said this:

to sort files you can use a tool like fatsort it takes about a min to sort 45 gigs on my sd card

That sounds great! There are quite a few versions of FATsort (or FATsorter) out there. For example:
http://www.murraymoffatt.com/software-problem-0010.html

Quote:
Resolution Steps: There are a few programs around that allow you to sort files by filename:
  1. FAT Sorter (includes a nice write-up about how it works) (requires Windows XP and .NET Framework 3.5 (will auto-download .NET Framework if you don't already have it installed))
  2. ReOrganize! (requires Windows Media Player 7 or later)
  3. DriveSort (requires Windows 2000 or later)
  4. FATSort (requires Windows 2000 or later)
  5. FATSort Utility (requires Linux)
  6. Fat Sorter (sorts alphanumeric, requires .Net 2)
  7. mp3DirSorter
  8. YAFS (Yet Another FAT Sorter) is a multi-platform (Windows and Unix) C/C++ open-source (GPL3) program that can sort the files and directories of a FAT file system (FAT16 and FAT32). It operates directly on the FAT file system structure changing the order of its entries.

I am hoping that someone can recommend one of them for Windows7. I will be trying them out soon though myself if I don't get any recommendations.

Jul 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #1,524 of 3,325
Quote:
i cant recomend any for windows because my media manager is setup on linux sorry.

No problem. Linux rules. And thanks for getting me onto FATsorter...

I firstly installed copyinorder, and it appears to have a "move" option, which might mean that I could copy from my card's "Music" folder to a new "Music2" folder on the same card. Which in theory would be pretty quick. But unfortunately I was getting a "copyinorder.exe has stopped working" message.

So I installed FATsorter v1.0.4 from here, and it appears to have worked. It took only a few minutes to sort 64GB of files, and the card is still funcitonal in my clip zip.

So we're good! All I need now is for my C3 to arrive.

Jul 13, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #1,525 of 3,325
For people that want to let the c3 play more then one album instead of selecting new albums to play each time, this is what I did:

1) Rip all music to single wav with a seperate cuesheet file. Make sure you have artist, albumtitle and if neccesary discnumber in title.
2) Make a folder structure based on genres, i.e praise, dance, pop, etcetera.
3) Put all single waves in the respective folders. The c3 will show the waves as folders.
4) Use drivesort to sort the wavefiles and genres, the cuesheets already take care of the order of songs within a wave.
 Folders.

This way the "Play all" setting will play all waves in a folder, which in my case is multiple albums of the same genre.
Shuffle works too, but it will only pick the songs defined within the cuesheet. After playing all songs in cuesheet it will shuffle through the songs in the next wavefile.

- As mentioned before, cuesheets with flac are broken. Thats why I use wave.
- Lets say I wanted to play a certain multidisc album in my "dance" folder. I simply start the first song on disc 1 and it will play through the cuesheet and go to the next disc when it has the same artist and ofcourse another discnumber. I then press stop after the last song from the last disc finishes playing. This only works if the order of the waves are correct, hence the need for drivesort or another similar program.

Jul 17, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #1,526 of 3,325
Got my C3 yesterday. As advertised, it is functionally about as spartan-like as could possibly be. Also, I find the usability of the buttons to be "interesting". Having said that, it is built very nicely, and most importantly, it really does sound fantastic. 

So far I have paired it up with my C&C BH amp and my H200 and CKS1000 iems. Pretty jaw dropping sound quality getting through to my neurons as far as I am concerned. I have about 10GB of lossless music, and it sounds so amazing through the C3 that I am starting to convince myself to migrating as much as I can lossless.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who helped with my questions - I'm very happy with this gizmo!
beerchug.gif

Jul 17, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #1,527 of 3,325
Got my C3 yesterday. As advertised, it is functionally about as spartan-like as could possibly be. Also, I find the usability of the buttons to be "interesting". Having said that, it is built very nicely, and most importantly, it really does sound fantastic. 

So far I have paired it up with my C&C BH amp and my H200 and CKS1000 iems. Pretty jaw dropping sound quality getting through to my neurons as far as I am concerned. I have about 10GB of lossless music, and it sounds so amazing through the C3 that I am starting to convince myself to migrating as much as I can lossless.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who helped with my questions - I'm very happy with this gizmo!
:beerchug:

Onya Wayne, enjoy! Welcome to the C3 / BH crew. :wink_face:

If the player ever stops or shuts down unexpectedly, there's a tiny reset hole above the headphone jack, press that with a pin.

Jul 17, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #1,528 of 3,325
Quote:

beerchug.gif

Congratulation on your new toy! I've ordered one last week too. Can you please tell me if you notice much difference driving the CKS1000 with & without amplifier?

Jul 17, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #1,529 of 3,325
Quote:

Congratulation on your new toy! I've ordered one last week too. Can you please tell me if you notice much difference driving the CKS1000 with & without amplifier?

With the 1k's, not a huge difference directly off of the C3 versus or the C3 plus either the E12 or BH . There are slight enhancements with either amp, but not worth running out to buy either one to work with the 1k's imo - they sound amazing directly off of the C3 :)

Jul 17, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #1,530 of 3,325
Im lookin around but am confused. I used mediamonley to load my c3. Is there an option for play all files or shuffle all. I can only get it to play an album at a time. Ck4 i had same issue, but only when playing fromemory card

Users who are viewing this thread

Back